[BBC News] Call for Keys' debates on radio

Newsbot

A member of the House of Keys calls for debates to be aired on the radio.

Hopefully on 114.87 MHz.

If they do this, just think that in a few years our MHKs could be heard by aliens who are listening and searching for intelligent life!

Cunning plan to repel an alien invasion, Albert...

I believe there was a vote on this which went 23-0 for the broadcast of the whole Keys session. There are a lot of important matters discussed and debated other than the broadcasted Question Time. It is essential that the public of the Isle of Man have easy access to the debates, and law making of the Island.

Every Keys/Tynwald meeting, within 2-3 seconds of Question Time finishing, David Callister is right outta that little box at the back of the chamber. I suppose he'll just have to sit tight for a few hours longer now!

I really wish Manx Radio would put up Questions on the play again site - I often (alright, occasionally) want to hear a particular question, or reply, and miss it. Indeed, sometimes I only get interested after the reply has been given and someone mentions it to me in conversation and provokes my interest, along the lines of 'Did he/she really say that?'.

Do any MR connected members know why this isn't posted, when most other talk radio is? (and questions used to be) - and I'm not suggesting 'It's a conspiracy' is the answer!

Incidentally, Hansard today is up to 17th January on the web, and whilst not a completely fair comparison, and please don't think I see Westminster as something to imitate, the original Hansard is delivered before breakfast with the morning papers the next day!

I couldn't agree more.

I tried phoning Manx Radio, to talk to someone who might be responsible for the website and listen again facility. There be one of them new breeds of receptionist up there who won't allow you past her and the most you will get is her receptionist email which she claimed would be forwarded to the person in charge/responsible. I felt like reminding her how much the taxpayer funds Manx Radio but I gave up.

Receptionist 1

Caller 0

I think there may be a small audience for the questions. The audience for the actual debates would be, at best, tiny. Therefore, the questions that need to be asked:

Have Manx Radio asked to broadcast the debates?

Have Tynwald simply assumed that Manx Radio would be delighted to broadcast their 'words of wisdom'?

Do Tynwald assume Manx Radio have no alternative but to accept their requests as a quid pro quo for the funding?

Is Tynwald arrogant enough to believe that we will all be transfixed by their deliberations?

Has the world gone completely mad?

P.S. Theo, I'd suggest e-mailing your query to: davidcallister@manxradio.com

I think there may be a small audience for the questions. The audience for the actual debates would be, at best, tiny. Therefore, the questions that need to be asked:

Have Manx Radio asked to broadcast the debates?

Have Tynwald simply assumed that Manx Radio would be delighted to broadcast their 'words of wisdom'?

Do Tynwald assume Manx Radio have no alternative but to accept their requests as a quid pro quo for the funding?

Is Tynwald arrogant enough to believe that we will all be transfixed by their deliberations?

Has the world gone completely mad?

P.S. Theo, I'd suggest e-mailing your query to: davidcallister@manxradio.com

I agree

Thanks I will contact David Callister.

I believe that the House of Keys are only too aware that much of their proceedings can be extremely tedious, certainly as far as radio entertainment goes, hence the reason for the part of the original motion that suggested only certain debates were broadcast but and that would have its own problems as to what and when and who chose etc.

Anyway, I am certainly all for the broadcast of the whole proceedings but I do see the various arguments there may be against it.

I'd prefer an edited half hour summary, though with important debates (e.g. debates around new acts, and popular election themes like residency, work permits etc) covered in real time. However, I do think that several politicians will start playing to the public.

Archived