2 Gigawatts!

Slim

"On a windy island surrounded by waves and tides, we should never be short of environmentally-friendly energy sources."

Lifted from the article but so apt for this place too - I'd support all possible sources of renewable energy on (and inshore/offshore) the island.

The weather here might as well be doing some good whilst it's causing misery.

As for NIMBY, who's going to complain about wind turbines on the uplands?

Like the Islands short of fulltime whingers

Dear Sir, today I got in my car and drove to the top of the hill outside my village. I got out my 500x telescope and I could just make out a wind turbine in the distance, and this completely spoiled my view.How can this unsightly monstrosity have been permitted.

Yours, disgusted of Foxdale

I only need 1.21 Gigawatts for my car anyway.

2 Gigawatts is only around 2.5% of the total electricity generating capacity of the UK.

As has been mentioned, I can't see why we couldn't have our own major installation off Jurby. Something like 40% of all of the wind energy in Europe is around the UK.

Pulrose has a capacity of almost 50MW, Peel a capacity of nearly 40MW, a diesel generating station at Ramsey with a capacity of 7MW, and a small hydro station at Sulby with a capacity of 1.0MW = 98MW or 0.1 Gigawatt total. Approximately 1000 large wind turbines produce a gigawatt, and so 100 would in theory meet the needs of the island, but as they are not always 100% efficient (and the wind is not always blowing) you would need more and still need the power stations of course - but the idea would be that the power stations would not be operating anywhere near full capacity much of the time.

(Those figures are based on a Horizontal axis wind turbine, the Enercon model E-66 wind energy converter, in Germany. The tower is 98 meters high, with a rotor diameter of 70 meters.)

You would probably be talking about at least £500K each for these turbines, so a project to offset, say, the Peel station would be likely to be around the £30 - £40 million area, including surveys, enquiries and associated infrastructure.

Since 1993 in the UK Wind Turbine generation has risen from 0.25 gigawatt to 2 gigawatts today. This is why I think it would be a good industry to give major tax breaks to on the island (far greater than the UK and Europe) and one of those high-tech industries (I keep banging on about) that we should encourage to locate here, bringing additional engineering/manufacturing/shipping jobs over here.

To the tree huggers, why dont we put some offshore as they have out of heysham? Christ, we could throw 100million at it, do a proper job, and be set.

Where is the negative? If the MEA can't get planning permission, ask Dandara to put the idea forward.

Sorted.

I only need 1.21 Gigawatts for my car anyway.

1.21 Gigawatts?! 1.21 Gigawatts!?!

I'm sorry, kid, but the only power source capable of generating 1.21 gigawatts of electricity is a bolt of lightning. Unfortunately, you never know when or where it's ever gonna strike.

To the tree huggers, why dont we put some offshore as they have out of heysham? Christ, we could throw 100million at it, do a proper job, and be set.

Where is the negative? If the MEA can't get planning permission, ask Dandara to put the idea forward.

Sorted.

I really think you're confusing 'tree huggers' with 'twitchers' & 'NIMBY's', I've usually believed that 'tree hugger's are against anything that destroys the environment, such as fossil fuel & nuclear powerstations, I've always though 'tree huggers' were into renewable energy & organic foods??

Tree huggers paradise???

Archived