Could Schools Be Used For Accommodation

Theodolite

From Manx Radio website link

When I was a nipper we used to have to make sure the class rooms were spotless and our desks emptied to allow the rooms to be used for accommodation during the Summer. (Gervais Phinn, author, often relates a story of staying at Rushen Primary School in his youth)

I think this is a very good alternative to camping, with most campsites apparently being fully booked already. The only problem is the question is coming from Peter Karran and it will make quite a few of our politicians cringe to vote anything whatsoever in favour of Mr Karran. Which is about as childish as politics can get.

Maybe the problem will solve itself.

If we don't get a Seacat back in service, they won't be coming, so the problem goes away.

Ten out of ten to peter for raising it though. The DTL seem to have spent thousands on the TT festival already without once considering where all these people are actually going to stay.

In my day some O' level exams were held first week in June. I always wondered what it was like to be at St Ninian's. As junior schools (such as Rushen Primary) are also closed and won't have exams, it does seem a good use of the schools - plenty of parking, toilet facilities etc. I would much prefer being in a building rather than in a tent, just in case the weather turned nasty.

I see there would be a bit of problem with administration needing the caretaker at very least. The plus point though, is that in general TT fans are pretty well behaved and would be only too thankful for a sheltered place to have a few hours sleep.

Marown, Michael, St Johns schools would be handy for the course too!

Shower facilities? You can't do it in the Secondary schools as they will be holding GCSE exams, which is a shame because all the secondary schools have showers. If you do it in Primary schools then you have the problem of the right facilities for them.

Given the number of boats on the timetable, the tendency for most people to arrive for the 4 to 6 days around the the weekend of racing, and that most events (including the music festival) are usually held over that weekend too - then surely there is only going to be a finite number of people attending - because we cannot physically bring them over with the capacity available as this acts as a 'bottleneck'. If the number of homestays on offer has reportedly gone up by three times this year - are we really likely to need to use schools for accomodation?

I hope TT 2007 is a massive event, but many bikers aren't going to see much change out of a £1000 note for this trip, including: £140 to £170 each on the ferry with a bike, probably around £200 in accomodation, around at least £15 quid a day on basic food (not including fast food and beer), petrol, and over £100 each if they want to attend the 3 main nights of the music festival.

Not withstanding the usual ramp up of 'rip off TT' prices everywhere - my fear is that we have already outpriced the event for many who would normally be the bulk of the main fan base of TT 2007. On the other hand, if the DTL had negotiated with the SP and were subsidising fares and paying for additional shipping to be available to remove the 'bottleneck', and tackled some of the obvious profiteering that goes on with the basics e.g. 'TT Menus' etc. I would be expecting many more of these 'extra people' to arrive - but simply leaving it to the market is already filtering out many bikers and families - who could probably get a better deal going to Disneyworld. Whatever you think about the market, and the cultural aspect of the TT - the fact is: greed is killing the TT.

this is rediculous.

there will be GCSE exams throughout race week, and I know for a fact living inside the course what a nightmare and extra stress getting to the exams during race week is without the school being full of bikers while they are sat.

I guess the primary schools maybe suitable, but it is impossible in the high schools.

Wouldn't there be some space in old Nobles? Huge building, showers, kitchen, parking - all there, or?

You could turn the old morgue into one of those trendy Japanese capsule hotels, just like in Tokyo.

http://www.capsuleinn.com

And just imagine the fun you can have with the old x-ray machine after a few pints - I think we're on to a winner here :)

this is rediculous.

there will be GCSE exams throughout race week, and I know for a fact living inside the course what a nightmare and extra stress getting to the exams during race week is without the school being full of bikers while they are sat.

I guess the primary schools maybe suitable, but it is impossible in the high schools.

The size of the toilets in primary schools are made for little kids not hairy ar**d bikers! Only the secondary schools have suitable toilets.

Do the exams have to be held in the five secondary schools? Most, if not all primary schools have halls where exams could be held.

this is rediculous.

The size of the toilets in primary schools are made for little kids not hairy ar**d bikers! Only the secondary schools have suitable toilets.

Do the exams have to be held in the five secondary schools? Most, if not all primary schools have halls where exams could be held.

yes, they do have to be held in the secondary schools, there are the registered exam centres, exams are the priority. You can have over 120 students sitting in a session at GCSE for the core subjects, the exams are very important.

If the primary schools are not suitable then scrap the idea. The secondary schools have exams in, end of story.

Archived