Could Schools Be Used For Accommodation

Theodolite

the majority of primary schools have holiday clubs on during the holidays, also the cleaners would have to be in much more, the kitchens couldn't be used health and safety and all that and the caretaker would have to be on the premises for the duration insurance reasons

the majority of primary schools have holiday clubs on during the holidays, also the cleaners would have to be in much more, the kitchens couldn't be used health and safety and all that and the caretaker would have to be on the premises for the duration insurance reasons

Plus can you imagine if a few of them got pissed and wrecked a school? Total nightmare. You could have all sorts of problems with refurbing and repairs.

I do find it bizarre that only three to four months away from the TT that they are still discussing these options. If you are organising a festival or event, surely you consider all the logistical stuff first? The first question should be how many people are going to come, and the second where are they all going to stay.

Have to agree with you Sultan. I suggested the use of Nobles on this Forum months ago, and the possibility of using schools was raised during a MR programme, also months ago. But still no one has come up with anything other than a plea for more homestay. Not even a suggestion of shipping-in loads of marquee tents and portacabin loos and showers; may not be the best appointed accommodation, but time is ticking away. Shambolic.

this is rediculous.

there will be GCSE exams throughout race week, and I know for a fact living inside the course what a nightmare and extra stress getting to the exams during race week is without the school being full of bikers while they are sat.

I guess the primary schools maybe suitable, but it is impossible in the high schools.

The size of the toilets in primary schools are made for little kids not hairy ar**d bikers! Only the secondary schools have suitable toilets.

Do the exams have to be held in the five secondary schools? Most, if not all primary schools have halls where exams could be held.

yes, they do have to be held in the secondary schools, there are the registered exam centres, exams are the priority. You can have over 120 students sitting in a session at GCSE for the core subjects, the exams are very important.

If the primary schools are not suitable then scrap the idea. The secondary schools have exams in, end of story.

No they don't wise guy. I remember taking my GCSE's in a church hall in Ramsey because the races had closed the roads. Ramsey Grammar is one of the only schools effectivley cut off or too close (noise) during exams and alternative locations are provided.

It was the church hall next to the tram station in Ramsey it's name I forget along with much of the stuff in the exams - doh.

this is rediculous.

there will be GCSE exams throughout race week, and I know for a fact living inside the course what a nightmare and extra stress getting to the exams during race week is without the school being full of bikers while they are sat.

I guess the primary schools maybe suitable, but it is impossible in the high schools.

The size of the toilets in primary schools are made for little kids not hairy ar**d bikers! Only the secondary schools have suitable toilets.

Do the exams have to be held in the five secondary schools? Most, if not all primary schools have halls where exams could be held.

yes, they do have to be held in the secondary schools, there are the registered exam centres, exams are the priority. You can have over 120 students sitting in a session at GCSE for the core subjects, the exams are very important.

If the primary schools are not suitable then scrap the idea. The secondary schools have exams in, end of story.

No they don't wise guy. I remember taking my GCSE's in a church hall in Ramsey because the races had closed the roads. Ramsey Grammar is one of the only schools effectivley cut off or too close (noise) during exams and alternative locations are provided.

It was the church hall next to the tram station in Ramsey it's name I forget along with much of the stuff in the exams - doh.

a school is for education, don't piss around with peoples exams for TT. Students taking exams must surely have first grabs on their own school.

I would give Peter barely one out of Ten for raising it but this is my problem with PK. Forgetting that it had been raised previoulsy but if it had been an original idea by Peter ten minutes research would have shown him the impracticalities. Primary schools do not have the facilities, i.e lack of showers, adult toilets etc without any other issues and the senior schools will be being used in respect of exams. At that point it should have been a dead issue.

Various posters very quickly pointed out these flaws in the proposals. Why did not PK pick these up? It seems he either was unable to think it through or more likely he was blinded by the opportunity for a quick headline and rushed for this rather than thinking it through. He does appear to rather like to be in the headlines!

PK has at times good points to raise but he seems to have a very scatter gun approach jumping on or at anything. He has his successess, whether by good luck or judgement is hard to decipher judging the amount of issues he targets, but many are a complete waste of time and effort. If he could be more selective and do his research first before jumping in he might be better served as currently I tend to assume if it is a matter being raised by PK that there is a fair chance it is yet another of his red hearings. Either that or he will "at the end of the day" be calling for more research or investigation into the issue. Again I just wish he would take his time do some research himself and start the debate of by putting forward some sensible ideas or proposals rather than jumping for the headline first.

Ten out of Ten to peter for raising it though.

Sometimes, in fact most times, a question in the House isn't to find an answer. The answer is known. "Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to" and all that.

I would say that the question has highlighted a matter, as demonstrated by this very thread, and that is that we don't seem to be very well organised for this mega TT thing are we?

Again I just wish he would take his time do some research himself and start the debate of by putting forward some sensible ideas or proposals rather than jumping for the headline first.

The reason he has raised it has nothing to do with schools at all, and more to do with the fact that the DTL have done nothing to allieviate the accomodation problem so far. It does not really matter whether PK talks about housing them in schools, or on buses, or in skips on the prom. He is raising the issue that the people paid to manage the visitors and manage the event have done bugger all and its only a few months off.

Haplessly hanging on to home stay to cure the problem is just naive.

There are some adult toilets for the teachers.

Probably one - shared -

or two, one for Guys and one for Girls - in each school for adults to use.

Secondary school could have as many as 6! (3 Guys and 3 Girls). Anyone who has been into St Nins during TT would see that these are never enough, and someone just has to shit in the sink.

Archived