I Hate The Uk

Albert Tatlock

Tonight...bumped into a woman South of Manchester who had had accident. Looked like a broken ankle.. Helped her out - and, after shouting across the road, another young guy also willing to help. While I suggested ringing for assistance and popped into the local pub to do so he volunteered to look after her. Just as I came out after ringing - off the road in the distance he was running with her handbag!

I hate the UK!

_

Whats the matter did he beat you to it :lol:

lol i know what you mean about the UK, you cannot trust anyone over there but same could be said on the island, and its only going to get worse here i tell you.

Sad reflection of a law system not working.

I think humiliation is the only way to go, get them dressed in funny clothes and make them stand about with a sign saying what they have been convicted off.

I bet that would sort a few, the medieval ways were best.

In the stocks with rotten tom's chucked at em.

As a student I lived in Mosside. Mosside Manchester. I worked amd lived in Clapham. I spent a number of years working with a Local Housing Authority in Scotland and visited some of the most deprived areas in the UK.

I have been on holiday in Hong Kong, Singapore and various South American countries.

I have never, ever, seen any violence or, unbelievable, even felt threatened in anyt of those places

We came to live in the Isle of Man 10 years ago. (when us comeovers were still in the minority). I was seriously assaulted outside "The Port" in the lovely village of Port Erin. The Police were non-plussed although the following week I noticed there were 3 police cars and a large white police van.

A year later I was held at knifepoint on Douglas Promenade. A man rampaged up Derby Road a few weeks later brandishing a knife. I wondered if he was my new acquaintance.

The papers are full of druggies and drinkies up to unpleasantries. There is wide spread corruption and greed.

Especially with my rose tinted spectacles etc. on, I realise of course that the Island is no worse than anywhere in the UK. Yes there are some lovely unspoilt places and some lovely unspoilt people. But this place ain't paradise sweetie. Oh no.

Tonight...bumped into a woman South of Manchester who had had accident. Looked like a broken ankle.. Helped her out - and, after shouting across the road, another young guy also willing to help. While I suggested ringing for assistance and popped into the local pub to do so he volunteered to look after her. Just as I came out after ringing - off the road in the distance he was running with her handbag!

I hate the UK!

_

I can only imagine someone in the UK might write "I hate the Isle of Man" based on what happened to the dog at Sulby reservoir

I hate the UK!

None of you had mobile phones?

I lived in Mosside. Mosside Manchester. I worked amd lived in Clapham. I spent a number of years working with a Local Housing Authority in Scotland and visited some of the most deprived areas in the UK.

I have been on holiday in Hong Kong, Singapore and various South American countries.

I have never, ever, seen any violence or, unbelievable, even felt threatened in anyt of those places

We came to live in the Isle of Man 10 years ago. (when us comeovers were still in the minority). I was seriously assaulted outside "The Port" in the lovely village of Port Erin. The Police were non-plussed although the following week I noticed there were 3 police cars and a large white police van.

A year later I was held at knifepoint on Douglas Promenade. A man rampaged up Derby Road a few weeks later brandishing a knife. I wondered if he was my new acquaintance.

The papers are full of druggies and drinkies up to unpleasantries. There is wide spread corruption and greed.

Especially with my rose tinted spectacles etc. on, I realise of course that the Island is no worse than anywhere in the UK. Yes there are some lovely unspoilt places and some lovely unspoilt people. But this place ain't paradise sweetie. Oh no.

You must have been unlucky. Statistically, the IOM must come off better than some of those places you mention. Acre Lane estates in Clapham are a bit scarier than Douglas imo, although running the weekend drunken gauntlet on the prom can be a bit hairy.

You must have been unlucky. Statistically, the IOM must come off better than some of those places you mention. Acre Lane estates in Clapham are a bit scarier than Douglas imo, although running the weekend drunken gauntlet on the prom can be a bit hairy.

Crime on the IOM has got worse, but the UK benchmark has got much worse so I suppose its all relative.

However the weekend on the Prom has never been as bad as it is now. Plus we do seem to have our fair share of murders and suicides - neither of which are a gauge of a progressive society.

Where assault is concerned, the Island's crime rate is about 6.42 incidents per 1,000 people (taken from the chief constable's report 2002), whereas in the UK it's about 7.46. This isn't really that much safer than the UK's figure, and, if the stats on Nationmaster.com are anything to go by, this figure puts the Isle of Man just outside of the top ten places (number 11 to be precise) for assault per capita.

This isn't an attempt to knock the Island, but it does lend a bit of perspective to the spirit to the notion that the Island is some kind of idyllic sanctuary amidst the chaos of the British Isles.

I do wonder if the reason the IoM 'knockers', who now live in the UK, are so vociferous in their condemnation of our lovely Island has more to do with the fact that they are living somewhere that could never match what we have and they damn well know it. And I'm not talking about the hills and the sea, I'm talking about the inherent goodness that still exists. I've always felt lucky and hugely privileged to live on the Island - but never more so than after these few days. :/

Nope, completely wrong. I live "off island" and I hate London because it is dirty and full of scumbags who know that as there are about 6 million other scumbags living in the same shithole then they can get away with crimes like that. In my (well travelled) experience that makes it little different from any other UK city with Liverpool and Newcastle on a par with London as "scumbag city". Interestingly I was in Jersey recently and they don't have the IOM problem of drunken intimidating packrats who knock about innocent promenaders (with apologies to Cret) who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Your land of milk and honey just doesn't exist. Welcome to reality world....

The problem on the IoM is that, in Douglas especially, you cannot avoid bad areas in the centre. Pretty much the whole of it can be a get-jumped-by-pissed-up-gits-lotto on a weekend night. I've felt safer walking through rough areas of Warsaw, Berlin, Athens and Quito on a Saturday night than Strand Street and the Prom :(

Where assault is concerned, the Island's crime rate is about 6.42 incidents per 1,000 people (taken from the chief constable's report 2002), whereas in the UK it's about 7.46.

Ahh, statistitics and data.

A workmate had a similar incident to myself with a nasty drunk/drugged scrote threatening him with a knife. The police happened along and the guy did a runner and got away. Although he discussed with the police what had happened, complete with a good description, there was no official incident recorded.

We reckoned it would look bad on police figures for such a serious, although apparently not uncommon, matter to go 'unsolved'. Best to ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

Archived