British Airways

xPinkSequinsx

Has anyone heard about how British Airways are only letting you bring one "suitcase" on the plane? Hand luggage is fine, but there are limits on normal luggage. But if you're flying to africa (I think) then the're allowing you to take more luggage. Surely that's unfair. Especially as we have to pay an extra £30 per bag for extra luggage. I strongly disagree with this!

From BA Web Site

In common with all airlines, British Airways has always charged for excess baggage.

The revision to our charging policy, which comes into partial effect next Tuesday, is being introduced to simplify existing policies.

Currently, more than 98 per cent of customers travel within their free luggage allowance. The majority of these customers check in no more than one item of luggage per person. For these customers, there is no change.

This includes all travellers to the USA, the Caribbean, Nigeria, Mexico and Brazil. Customers for these destinations will still be able to check in two pieces of luggage free of charge. The free 23kg allowance for economy-class customers to other destinations will be limited to a single item of luggage.

British Airways has absolutely no intention of discriminating against passengers who cannot comfortably carry a 23kg bag. Where it is clear that a passenger cannot manage one bag, we will let them check in an additional bag (or more) provided the total weight is within the 23 kg limit.

Our free luggage allowances, for both carry-on and checked-in luggage, remain among the most generous in the aviation industry. Many other airlines offer smaller free allowances and charge for additional items such as skis, golf bags or other sports equipment.

The change was announced in a press release last June. Details have been on the ba.com website since, and issued to travel agents and our frequent flyers.

For the two per cent of customers who wish to exceed their free allowances, we have decided to simplify the charges they pay to make them easier to understand.

At present charges vary according to weight, route and class of travel. We are replacing these with three simple rates for bags additional to the free allowance:

£30 per extra bag on domestic flights, £60 per extra bag on European flights and £120 per extra bag on longhaul flights. Customers will get a 30 per cent discount on these rates if they pre-pay online. The changes will not come into full effect until September 2007.

In the vast majority of instances, the new policy will be cheaper or comparable for customers who wish to fly with excess baggage on top of their free allowances.

Has anyone heard about how British Airways are only letting you bring one "suitcase" on the plane? Hand luggage is fine, but there are limits on normal luggage. But if you're flying to africa (I think) then the're allowing you to take more luggage. Surely that's unfair. Especially as we have to pay an extra £30 per bag for extra luggage. I strongly disagree with this!

I don't see the problem. Just use 1 bigger bag - there is plenty of choice in good luggage available today. Also you have a choice in airlines.

From BA Web Site

Currently, more than 98 per cent of customers travel within their free luggage allowance. The majority of these customers check in no more than one item of luggage per person. For these customers, there is no change.

This includes all travellers to the USA, the Caribbean, Nigeria, Mexico and Brazil. Customers for these destinations will still be able to check in two pieces of luggage free of charge. The free 23kg allowance for economy-class customers to other destinations will be limited to a single item of luggage.

A nice bit of spin.

What this release does not say is that the maximum weight per bag has been lowered from 32kg to 23kg. for USA, etc. They will allow over that until 30 Sept. provided you pay excess fees, but after 30 Sept. they reserve the right to refuse it.

From IOM, if you are travelling to USA you can take 2 bags free of charge (on the IOM flights) provided you have bought a through ticket. On the grounds that nearly all USA flights go from Heathrow and most are morning flights requiring an over night stay, BA will not sell a through fare. Once Flybe take over you will not be able to buy a through fare. My advice is to use Euromanx and Continental Airlines from Manchester, both of whom have superb baggage policies.

N.B. BA economy European routes have always been 23kgs (with a couple of exceptions). I have often had additional bags or been over and have never been charged in the past. I guess that is over.

Flybe Take over is easily explained.

Week 1 a full service to all locations.

Week 2 one flight a day (at midday) to all locations.

Week 3 one flight a day to Birmingham. All other routes taken over by Shamus O'Cowboy Airways using unairworthy Sopwith Camels at 400 quid a ticket.

People - get used to it. BA on the Island is history so kiss goodbye to executive lounges, airmiles and through ticketing. It might come as quite a revelation to some of you that there are many equally as good operators as the now much degraded BA. And that includes here on the Island. I would also be pretty open minded about which airline you end up using those prebooked BA tickets with post the end of March.

Archived