Douglas Rates To Rise

local skeet

I was under the impression that the incinerator produced 12% of the electricity used on the Island, and am certain I read that when I first moved over. If you consider how much that 12% would be worth over a year, surely this "cable" would be connected. Someone must know the truth about this? :unsure:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was under the impression that the incinerator produced 12% of the electricity used on the Island, and am certain I read that when I first moved over. If you consider how much that 12% would be worth over a year, surely this "cable" would be connected. Someone must know the truth about this? :unsure:

Well, the total electrical generation capacity on the island is around 90MW. Call it 100MW and say electricity is 10p per KWh...

...then 10% of that (10MW) costs £1000 per hour - £24000 per day - or £8.76 million per year (assuming 100% operation). Even 30% operation would be over £2.5M per annum.

No energy produced, is that true? I thought it produced 10% (not sure of what, either 10% of the energy produced in the incineration process is transformed into leccie, or it is supposed to contribute 10% of the leccie requirements of the IOM). So no energy produced at all? Or perhaps not as much as is produced by the wind farm that sits on Tuesdays on Bucks Road?

This seems to have gone off the topic of Douglas rates but Sita's website says they produce 10% of the island's electricity.

Actually I think it's nearer 7% of the island's requirement and it's a very expensive way to produce electricity.

You can see their graphs and figures on the Sita website

www.sita.co.im

generation

electricity generation

From Feb 10th the graph goes into a steep decline.

No energy produced, is that true? I thought it produced 10% (not sure of what, either 10% of the energy produced in the incineration process is transformed into leccie, or it is supposed to contribute 10% of the leccie requirements of the IOM). So no energy produced at all? Or perhaps not as much as is produced by the wind farm that sits on Tuesdays on Bucks Road?

This seems to have gone off the topic of Douglas rates but Sita's website says they produce 10% of the island's electricity.

Actually I think it's nearer 7% of the island's requirement and it's a very expensive way to produce electricity.

You can see their graphs and figures on the Sita website

www.sita.co.im

generation

electricity generation

From Feb 10th the graph goes into a steep decline.

If you go to MEA HQ up on Cooil Rd the PC they have in reception shows that on most days the EFWP produces 6Mw of elastictrikery most of which is exported.

Anyway, back to the thread. John Shimmin as Minister for DoLGE has overall power to stop this rate rise. He makes his decision this week so email him quickly about your concerns. ceo@dlge.gov.im

Archived