The Pp Races

ccm

Maybe it includes the cost of insurance etc for all the riders as I believe that for the TT all these costs are picked up by the "organisers" and there are no entery fees. I also presume appearance money etc is paid to some of the bigger names.

I have no idea what the actual insurance premium is but I think it is pretty high. It is also getting harder and harder to get and premiums are forever rocketing. Will we get to the point where cover can not be obtained or premiums are at such a level they can not be justified. In fact it is probably one of the things that threatenes the future of the TT as whilst there are plenty who want to ride it and who have been encouraged as said previously so it is looking very healthy on the surface behind the scenes due to outside pressure it may be less so.

If I wanted to race at the TT and I knew the man who held the pursestrings had £3m then hey, let's start talking. remember in poker, never show your hand..

I wonder if the prize money comes out of his budget?

2007 Money:

Superbike: £70,500

Sidecar A: £33,650

Superstock: £34,575

Supersport: £34,575

Sidecar B: £33,650

Senior: £81,500

£288,450 in prize money in total

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst "hideing" behind a forum name I have to say that as an Island Resident I am no longer proud of the TT. The history is great, I enjoy the atmosphere mainly, although this year on some practice nights with the Peel festival on I can see it being more grid locked than usual.

However I do feel it is slowly becoming an anacronism. The speed and power of the bikes these days has out grown the course in my opinion. I appreciate the riders do it of their own free will but when travelling across etc on business after somedody has died or been very seriously injured and this is raised I would admit that pride is not something I feel for the TT.

I do apprecaite that this is the view of a non TT fanatic. Sports fanatic yes but the TT as I say I have very mixed feelings about. I also apprecaite the time and effort many volunteers put into running the event but that is the same the world over whether be it running the local football club or the Derby & Joan outing. It only happens with a lot of unseen effort

Don't knock this event please,in sporting terms (especially motorsport) 100 years is a milestone in itself,those people involved in the running of the event give up many many hours free,and in Paul and Milky's case that number of hours is phenomenal.

We as Island residents should be proud of the TT

Chris Kinley

If people like Paul and Milky didn't get behind the TT it would have died simple as that.

Look at the newcomers over the past few years that have come here and done very well.

Guy Martin

Cameron Donald

Ian Hutchinson

Connor Cummins best newcomer last year (MANXMAN)

Plus many others who have come to the event after never even thinking about doing the TT and gone away very happy,

and love the place and have returned with other riders from their respective countries.

Don't knock this event please,in sporting terms (especially motorsport) 100 years is a milestone in itself,those people involved in the running of the event give up many many hours free,and in Paul and Milky's case that number of hours is phenomenal.

And no i will not hide behind a forum name (like most)

Chris Kinley

Chris without Paul & Milky's contribution the riders you listed clearly would have started at the TT, he isnt off running a team looking for talent nurturing them and then bringing them to the TT.

100s of people run the TT and manx grand prix without pay and PP isnt one of them hes getting IRO £35K + expenses as a mgmt role in the dept of tourism.

The 3m budget is also used to entice people to come and race here. If I was thinking about taking part and saw how much money was available I think I'd be holding out fo top dollar.

Yes it's always good to let people know how much you're spending in terms of safety etc but letting people know how much money you have to entice people here is not good business.

As for whether this year's races will live up to all the hype, well only time will tell. Those who are responsible for putting on the show should really boast about how good it is once their expectations have been realised. Otherwise they could be made to look foolish ....

Chris without Paul & Milky's contribution the riders you listed clearly would have started at the TT, he isnt off running a team looking for talent nurturing them and then bringing them to the TT.

100s of people run the TT and manx grand prix without pay and PP isnt one of them hes getting IRO £35K + expenses as a mgmt role in the dept of tourism.

Willow, I'm not to sure how much you really know about this.

Firstly please post your own salary before quoting anyone elses. It is one thing to quote "Public spending" but another to talk about an individuals worth, my mother taught me that was bad manners.

I know for a fact that Paul has worked closely to secure rides for individuals and and has asked numerous people for help on this, namely Cameron Donald who had no intention of coming until Paul contacted him (normally between the hours of 2am and 3am) and had no bike until Mick Charnock was kind enough to give him a bike, again all facilitated by Paul. I think he also did similiar acts for Milky when he was racing, when the TT was but a twinkle in in his eye.

I'm not saying you're wrong just sounding a bit misinformed. I await you salary posting with the eagerness of a 5 year old in a candy shop.

John

I think a civil servants salary is pretty much transparent anyway.

Paul and Milky were paid for their roles as riders representatives, and it was their job to attract new riders. Something previously done by the Hailwood foundation, who basically worked for nothing and had to raise the funding etc. to bring riders over. These riders then had to strike their own deal with the Tourist Board.

So at least things have improved there then, we have had paid officials who deal with rider recruitment.

Well atleast paul is doing something about the TT, which in my book means the guy is doing the job he probably loves doing.

Good on the Lad, i hope he keeps up the good work, he is a manx lad who has a bit of pride in the place which is very rare these days.

If your reading this paul don't listen to the critics just keep going as you are.

As for earning £35k a year good on him, there is pen pushers in government on more than that with less responsibility.

Instead of being negative lets start being a bit proud to be manx i know i am.

Its not the place its mainly the people who need to change

Max Power Wrote

A lot of what is happening has been on the blocks for a good while, and been suggested by many people in the past. I think it's a bit unfair to credit Paul with saving the TT, and does a great injustice to the Manx Motor Cycle Club, The TT Marshalls Association and many others, who have been working tirelessly to improve the TT since 2003 and before.
I must say I totally agree with Max.

corbett wrote

If people like Paul and Milky didn't get behind the TT it would have died simple as that.

Look at the newcomers over the past few years that have come here and done very well.

What a load of complete tosh, please read Max Powers post.

Well that's one thing I won't do, I've been involved with the TT for many, many years and I agree that Paul and Milky do a sterling job but it takes alot more than one man to save and run the TT as the motorcycle news rag quoted. I'm sure that PP and Milky themselves would never alone claim to be the saviours of the TT either.

The motorcycle news print what they want to print, lets face it they've printed some very detrimental comments about the TT in the past at least what's been printed this time is all good.

And no i will not hide behind a forum name (like most)

Yep we Island residents should be proud of the TT and I will hide behind a forum name that's why it's called a forum so people can post with anonymity, even though a lot of posters already know who I am :) .

Roger Smelly Wrote

As for earning £35k a year good on him, there is pen pushers in government on more than that with less responsibility.

Yep good on him. Personally I don't think it's anyone elses business but his own.

ive just read the article in question today, getting 3 pages of TT coverage in the MCN is good PR in anyones books.

what does annoy me about this article and PP himself is the passing off of other peoples hard work as his own. just because PP and Milky are doing a good job of rider recruitment [which they are] doesnt mean they are the only ones. There is a lot of riders that werent invited to his wedding and dont finish in the top 5 at the TT that are more than a bit pissed off with the superstar policy that has been introduced.

theres nowt wrong with PP promoting the TT, but its fair to say he could be a bit more humble about it,

t

Guy Martin

Cameron Donald

Ian Hutchinson

Plus many others who have come to the event after never even thinking about doing the TT and gone away very happy,

and love the place and have returned with other riders from their respective countries.

Chris Kinley

What about that poor newcomer who died last year when they hit the marshall. He would still be alive today if he'd not been encouraged to come to the TT

What a terrible thing to have on a man's conscience

t

Guy Martin

Cameron Donald

Ian Hutchinson

Chris Kinley

What about that poor newcomer who died last year when they hit the marshall. He would still be alive today if he'd not been encouraged to come to the TT

What a crass comment. The TT is dangerous, and if you have issue with it then say so, but don't use that incident as something to attack Paul Phillips (who you appear to have a vendetta against) with. What difference does it make if someone is killed in their 1st or 21st year of racing? It's a tragedy but it's part and parcel of the sport.

Do you think that Paul somehow hoodwinks potential newcomers into believing that the TT is not dangerous? That certainly appears to be what you've insinuated from your last post. That's ridiculous - the riders themselves know the risks and can make their minds up themselves. There have probably been numerous people who Paul has approached who have turned him down. Those that end up doing it will have decided that they want to.

The incident in question was not last year by the way, it was in 2005.

t

Guy Martin

Cameron Donald

Ian Hutchinson

Chris Kinley

What a crass comment. The TT is dangerous, and if you have issue with it then say so, but don't use that incident as something to attack Paul Phillips (who you appear to have a vendetta against) with. What difference does it make if someone is killed in their 1st or 21st year of racing? It's a tragedy but it's part and parcel of the sport.

Do you think that Paul somehow hoodwinks potential newcomers into believing that the TT is not dangerous? That certainly appears to be what you've insinuated from your last post. That's ridiculous - the riders themselves know the risks and can make their minds up themselves. There have probably been numerous people who Paul has approached who have turned him down. Those that end up doing it will have decided that they want to.

The incident in question was not last year by the way, it was in 2005.

So would you encourage someone to take part in a event where there life is at risk?

So would you encourage someone to take part in a event where there life is at risk?

No, you simply ask someone who has the nesscary experience, and therefore safe riding skills, if they have considered riding at the TT the responsible angle would be: "Here's last years DVD & an entry form let me know if you fancy it and we'll talk money later"

Here we go, "that old chestnut of the TT is a dangerous sport".

Dude I was encouraged to ride motorcycles, drive a car, Scuba dive and Snowboard and I'm glad. There all pretty dangerous activities but I choose to do them, nobody makes me.

CCM you seriously need to reconsider some of your posts, to bring a riders death into question when talking about whether you like someone or not is completely below the belt.

Final posting on this forum, easy come easy go.

Comments like that should stay in the minds of the idiotic!

Archived