[BBC News] Harbour users discuss marina plan

Newsbot

Plans to improve harbour facilities at an Isle of Man port take a step closer with the establishment of a steering group.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6371703.stm

Let us make one thing clear here. Having been a harbour user for 25 years I find the marina an inconvenience as do many others.

The installation of lock gates at Peel and Douglas is done to improve the infrastructure around the harbour - and in both cases it can be argued that it is working.

For the general public, please understand that 'improving harbour facilities' is another example of government spin.

And as I have said several times before on this forum, it is being promoted by senior civil servants, and developers, not politicians or public demand.

As a user of Port St Mary harbour myself, I would certainly hope that if they do end up making a marina that it's only the inner harbour.

If they run it past the boat park and the yacht club slip it will be a complete pain in the hole for launching craft and will make the existing facilities far more crowded than they already get on good days. :(

As a user of Port St Mary harbour myself, I would certainly hope that if they do end up making a marina that it's only the inner harbour.

If they run it past the boat park and the yacht club slip it will be a complete pain in the hole for launching craft and will make the existing facilities far more crowded than they already get on good days. :(

As a Douglas user I am obviously biased but I think PSM would have been the ideal place for a first marina. The problems for users would be the same wherever it was but the big plus factor is the lack of a river draining into the harbour there. Douglas and Peel are silting up, not just silt but branches twigs, vegetation etc. which never gets flushed out. It is an issue which is out of site and out of mind with the government and apparently Mike Brew at the moment.

Archived