Tesco's Imported Potatoes Give Local Produers The Chip

copycat

Well the last time i got local spuds from shoprite most of them were rotten in the middle, i buy mine by the sack load from a local farmer and they are good.

As soon as the island gets a farmers market it will be great for us all, i tend to stay away from shoprite due to the last time i got some stuff there it was utter tosh.

I will not shop in a place that stocks ICELAND Shite

You are quite right - Iceland is shite but I don't eat whale meat anyway. Shoprite veg is from Robinsons who bring it in from Ireland via wherever it comes from. I think there is a move to have a weekly farmers market soon. The sooner the better. Have you tried the Douglas Market for veg ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a farmers market on the island, it's in a place far, far, away in a mystical place, known as Ramsey.

there is also a farmers combine there, basically the same but in one shop.

So, get in your beamer and head north to get the goodies you so desire.

Alternately sit in your wine bars and sup chianti to the sound of some tossy boy/girl band and order from Tesco on-line for the best deals in take out prepacked slop burgers and stop complaining about lack of something that already exists.

There is a farmers market on the island, it's in a place far, far, away in a mystical place, known as Ramsey.

Alternately sit in your wine bars and sup chianti to the sound of some tossy boy/girl band and order from Tesco on-line for the best deals in take out prepacked slop burgers and stop complaining about lack of something that already exists.

What? Head north to Ramsey! The ghost town! :lol:

'Mystical Place' Your having a laugh!

I wish there was one in Douglas - 15 miles each way at 38mpg (in the car) is £3.35 in petrol, and about, what, 50 minutes in driving time for a return journey? As there's only me and my flatmate (and he lives off fast food :lol: ), I don't think I'd be buying enough to warrant the journey if that was the sole purpose. If I'm going to Ramsey for multiple purposes, then it'd make sense. :)

I said it recently on another thread, but Tesco's can sell potatoes from off island cheaper than Manx farmers can produce them. It's all down to economies of scale.

If you want to see Manx farmers go out of business, it's simple, let's all buy imported spuds from Tesco's and then when we have no choice, stand back and watch their prices rise.

I think I'd grow my own if that ever happened.

I said it recently on another thread, but Tesco's can sell potatoes from off island cheaper than Manx farmers can produce them. It's all down to economies of scale.

If you want to see Manx farmers go out of business, it's simple, let's all buy imported spuds from Tesco's and then when we have no choice, stand back and watch their prices rise.

I think I'd grow my own if that ever happened.

Plagerist ! lol :blink:

Just what I said yesterday ! I would rather pack my flask and go to Ramsey for my spuds.

So where is the market ? Ramsey is a big place. Is it open during the winter ?

Every Saturday morning undercover near the cafe in Mooragh Park ... its not exactly huge so don't expect a lot of choice if you get there late.

I read somewhere that they are trying to set one up in Douglas but a couple of market traders have objected and there is some ancient statute which prohibits markets other than the main one anyway.

56lb bags of spuds can be purchased in most places of the UK for about £1.50 or less, if you were to buy them and bring them back to the Island you would be prossicuted if caught. The Island has strick laws in place to protect the Local farmers when it comes to the importation of meat and veg. Tesco must have obtained a permit to import cheap spuds. Several years back a local market trader was fined for selling imported spuds under the IOM Governments recomended price.

56lb bags of spuds can be purchased in most places of the UK for about £1.50 or less, if you were to buy them and bring them back to the Island you would be prossicuted if caught. The Island has strick laws in place to protect the Local farmers when it comes to the importation of meat and veg. Tesco must have obtained a permit to import cheap spuds. Several years back a local market trader was fined for selling imported spuds under the IOM Governments recomended price.

I thought the Govt had done away with the managed price regime and it was an open market with no protection whatsoever for local spud producers. am I correct?

Archived