Tesco's Imported Potatoes Give Local Produers The Chip

copycat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What we haven't heard is how many times Tesco have had discussions at officer level with the planning department about what they would like to do with the Lake Road store all with an intention of getting more of the IOM market share at the cost of competition from the Maypole.

Its probably about time one of the new MHKs table a question to have the chief planning officer provide information that would indicate what Tesco's intentions are on the IOM.

56lb bags of spuds can be purchased in most places of the UK for about £1.50 or less, if you were to buy them and bring them back to the Island you would be prossicuted if caught. The Island has strick laws in place to protect the Local farmers when it comes to the importation of meat and veg. Tesco must have obtained a permit to import cheap spuds. Several years back a local market trader was fined for selling imported spuds under the IOM Governments recomended price.

I thought the Govt had done away with the managed price regime and it was an open market with no protection whatsoever for local spud producers. am I correct?

You are, and it is now open market for eggs, milk, and at the end of this year, meat.

and in return we get access to the European Market for our goods - that's a very good and worthwhile deal isn't it?

You are quite right. Although I don't understand why they have to come all the way to the Isle of Man to buy their polish sausages.

Back on the thread, on one of my infrequent trips to Tesco last week, I have to admit they really cannot be faulted in customer relations. As I was walking through the door I saw Aa very loud, unattractive, hard-faced woman walk into Tesco in front of me with her two kids in tow, screaming obscenities at them all the way through the entrance.

A Tesco assistant said "Good morning and welcome to Tesco, nice children you've got there. Are they twins?" The ugly woman stops screaming long enough to snarl: "Of course they bloody aren't you f***ing idiot! The

oldest is nine and the youngerest is seven. Why the hell would you think they're twins...? Do you really think they look alike, you

f***ing d*ckhead?"

"Absolutely not," replies the greeter, "I just can't believe anyone would shag you twice!"

Tesco - every little helps.

Archived