Raf Nimrod - Ronaldsway

slinkydevil

Anyone know why there was an RAF Nimrod buzzing Ronaldsway this afternoon around 4pm?

It was coming in on full flaps as if it was on a landing run and then at about 200 feet hitting full throttle and flying off again. They are pretty big so I guess can't land at Ronaldsway and at another guess it must be some kind of practice.

However it did this 4 - 5 times over a couple of hours in between commercial airlines landing. Im not after conspiracys, just thought Ronaldsway was a strange place to practice this?

rafnimrodr1b.jpg

No doubt copycat will come up with some theory about Douglas rate payers having to pay for RAF Nimrods to spot white dog shit and it was piloted by the byelaw officer....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not uncommon for the RAF to plan landing/approach training on different airfields around the UK, its always good to have carried out a plan if something goes tits up. I just wished they had thought of this when our regt went to the outer hebradies in a herc, 4 attempts later and we still overshot the runway by about 10 metres!

was it an R1 or MR2 version? was there a MAD boom on the tail?

The essential role of the aircraft is ISTAR so they do have the capability and it could well have been on a overland Electro-Optic IMINT mission.

So I take it that's your lift to Iceland then?

Have a good trip!

funny you should mention that immortalpuppet,every time we landed at Benbecula we had to have a few attempts at landing,

sure they must have let crab air rookies have there first go at landing with live ones onboard bounced down that runway a few times

trying to think of the pub with all the whiskeys was it the cregorry arms?

It was pretty unusual - you do get the odd Nimrod passing over every now and again, but this one came in as if to land several times. I saw it a couple of times (just a brief glimpse of a couple of seconds) though and it actually didn't look like a Nimrod to me, but something bigger and it also didn't seem as loud as the Nimrods usually are. I only saw it from behind and I'm no expert though, so I would be grateful if someone could shed any light on it. The 2nd time I saw it there was a Hawk about a minute behind it.

was it an R1 or MR2 version? was there a MAD boom on the tail?

The essential role of the aircraft is ISTAR so they do have the capability and it could well have been on a overland Electro-Optic IMINT mission.

Can someone kindly offer a translation into English please

Never seen an R1 with a MAD boom :blink:

Its not uncommon for the RAF to plan landing/approach training on different airfields around the UK, its always good to have carried out a plan if something goes tits up. I just wished they had thought of this when our regt went to the outer hebradies in a herc, 4 attempts later and we still overshot the runway by about 10 metres!

It might not be uncommon in the UK, but we're not the UK!

It was probably the CIA. A rendition flight. I fear I may soon be rendered.

Ever since I suggested we respond to the Neteller outrage by sending the MV Karina up the Potomac loaded with Bushy's and Okells, my phones have been echoing and there's always some geezer reading a newspaper in the pub. And another who looks like Chuck Norris up telephone poles, watching.

Orange is SO last year...

Gulp.

Archived