Mountain Section One Way For Entire Tt Period?

Donk

One way over the mountain is the craziest idea i have ever heard.

My suggestion would be to introduce a blanket speed limit of say 50 mph and enforce it religiously, keep the one way following practise & races but keep the speed limit in place.

Finally what is even more incredible is that the majority of visitors to the Island come from a country (England) where the maximum speed they can legally drive is 70mph so what is it that gives them the ability to drive at such high speeds on our country roads???

It is a crazy idea and should be allowed to wither away - health and safety bollocks as usual!

How exactly would they police a 50 mph limit - they already introduce a limit at certain points for the races and then those same roads are treated like Santa Pod by visitors. They can't/don't want to police it is the only answer.

70 mph? Presumably you've never driven on a motorway - the legal limit is only half the story, but then the English roads are a 1000% improvement on our shoddy 'tarmac'. I wouldn't call the Mountain Road a "country road" though with plenty of good visibility (weather excepting) and long straight bits :) the only thing to spoil it is the excessive use of solid white lines (health and safety bollocks again) and perhaps the lack of 'cat's eyes' for driving it in the dark.

And nobody has an answer to the question of how the expected masses of visiting bikers and spectators are going to get to vantage points on the Ramsey to Douglas stretch of the Course without negotiating far more hazardous roads than a 2 way Mountain Road!!

I never said the TT should wither away i dont mind either way whether there is a TT or not, i am however against people visiting the Island and driving beyond there capabilities (because we let them due to no speed limit).

Justify in anyway what possible right anyone has to decide that they have the right to ride or drive in a fashion on open roads whether one way or not that endangers the lives of my friends and families lives.

I was talking about the one way idea withering away :rolleyes: but now you mention it, that could be the answer to the TT as well!

Where was I anywhere advocating riding/driving in a manner that endangers lives? It's because I do accept that accidents happen that I say lesser roads should not be used to carry the brunt of the TT traffic when the Mountain Road, two way, is the best and safest option, gets people to their destination in the shortest route and a two way road can't be any more difficult to police than a one way.

Taxis on the Course - I can see the crowds now jumping out trying to flag one down :) :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, one way with motor bikes banned. How do I , a resident, get to work without being wiped out by some biker high on speed?

It's bad enough when the sun comes out on any weekend with the locals in their funny outfits without unknowing visitors trying to break the sound barrier on two wheels.

And how do you account for the extra twenty minutes for ambulances etc; to get to Ramsey?

It's bad enough when the sun comes out on any weekend with the locals in their funny outfits without unknowing visitors trying to break the sound barrier on two wheels.

Yeah, disgusting the locals going out on their bikes when it's sunny, maybe we should ban them too? :unsure:

Yeah, disgusting the locals going out on their bikes when it's sunny, maybe we should ban them too? :unsure:

You can't be that local if you can't spell 'moddey'!

All the negativity really is a bore now. Perhaps we should just impose stupid rules everywhere, finish the TT and close up the Island completely. Then we can become the inbreds that everyone thinks that we are!

Finishing with the TT would not close up the Island completely - there is more to life you know!

While we're at it, ban speed boats and jetskies and all other boats (could capsize), angling (those fishing hooks are very sharp) hillwalking (could fall down a hill) jogging (could trip up) owning cats or dogs (might bite you) taking baths or swimming (could drown) shagging (heart attacks) having a good dump (might catch something off the toilet seat)

Lets face it, it is better to be safe than sorry. FFS

What? :unsure: yes i am local.

I'm not trying to spell moddey, i've got it right: MODEY my nickname, k?

THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN ARE NOW POLICING THIS FORUM. PLEASE PRODUCE FAMILY TREE UPON LOG-IN. THOSE FOUND TO BE INSUFFICIENTLY LOCAL WILL BE IMPOUNDED AT EARY CUSHLIN ON A 3 YEAR COURSE IN GAELIC, EXTREME BRAVAG AND ADVANCED WHINGEING.

Anyway, the answer is clear: there must be a consultation on the consultation.

As Manx is an oral language you can spell it however you like.

Archived