Fluoride In The Water

doodlebug

Joking apart, can anyone tell me if boiling the kettle (for instance) changes the affects? I only say that because that's the only source of water I drink and thats by having a cup of tea or coffee (not sure if alcohol (spirits) comes under that though?) If the various and whatever chemicals are changed and nullifies the effect, then there would be little point in adding the chemical anyway and the problem still remains.

ps, if anyone wishes to stick a load of gobbledygook chemical equations to disprove whatever point I've written, I'd suggest you save your energy as they mean absolutely nothing to me and would prefer a straight basic answer.

Trying to keep it simple - na boiling doesn't significantly affect it. Boiled food etc is as big a source as drinking fluorinated water. And its in beers, beverages etc that use the municipal water. As I've said before Guiness is fluorinated if its made in Dublin, I assume various Irish Whiskeys are also - interestingly also probably the coke! Tea's full of fluoride whether you use flourinated water or not.

I am sure I'll get shouted at but the largest review studies (York etc) do say that the effect still results in reduced numbers of cavities even with the fact most of it is not actual drank; and with other sources of fluoride in the environment - these were multivariate analyses trying to look at confounding factors.

Kettles can be a source of accumulated fluoride as fluoride does not evaporate off in the steam, so if you just keep topping your kettle up then the remaining water will have a higher concentration of fluoride.

Chinhand's other statements just reinforce the argument not to fluoridate as you cannot control the dosage of fluoride that people will get.

Once water is fluoridated there will be increased levels of fluoride in all products made with water and fluoride is a cumulative poison - you only excrete about half of what you take in (if your kidneys are working normally) the rest is stored in the body LINK.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kettles can be a source of accumulated fluoride as fluoride does not evaporate off in the steam, so if you just keep topping your kettle up then the remaining water will have a higher concentration of fluoride.

Statements such as this are why I have no confidence in what you post. Either you do not understand or have not thought about the statement which leaves me to doubt your capacity to undersatnd the issue or you do but have posted in anyway although it does not really make any sense.

Your statement only makes any sense if when you boil a kettle you let it boil for a long time such that 50% or more of the water to evaporate. Does that happen? Generally no as these days most have modern kettles with littles that automtically turn themselves off on boiling. How much evaporates during boiling via the spout? I have no idea but I would suggest that it is negligable, certainly I have never noticed it which basically makes your argument bollocks!

Now if I can quickly spot on an issue I as a simple lay person can relate to what you have posted is basically bollocks, why should I have any confidence that what you post on the issue of fluoridation, an issue that I have to rely on the information of others on, is not equally riddled with errors.

Statements such as this are why I have no confidence in what you post. Either you do not understand or have not thought about the statement which leaves me to doubt your capacity to undersatnd the issue or you do but have posted in anyway although it does not really make any sense.

With respect, what SOW said was (my emphasis):

"Kettles CAN be a source of accumulated fluoride as fluoride does not evaporate off in the steam, so IF you just keep topping your kettle up then the remaining water will have a higher concentration of fluoride."

Those people who fill a kettle right up, then use only part of it, are the people SOW is talking about. And what he said is quite true. Every time you boil it, a small amount of water will be lost as steam, so the chemicals in the water will tend to accumulate over time.

Your statement only makes any sense if when you boil a kettle you let it boil for a long time such that 50% or more of the water to evaporate. Does that happen? Generally no as these days most have modern kettles with littles that automtically turn themselves off on boiling. How much evaporates during boiling via the spout? I have no idea but I would suggest that it is negligable, certainly I have never noticed it which basically makes your argument bollocks!

Now if I can quickly spot on an issue I as a simple lay person can relate to what you have posted is basically bollocks, why should I have any confidence that what you post on the issue of fluoridation, an issue that I have to rely on the information of others on, is not equally riddled with errors.

There is nothing wrong with the statement, kettles can be a source of accumulated fluoride LINK. What about people that still boil kettles on the stove, I know plenty that do.

Dosage cannot be controlled with fluoridation.

There is nothing wrong with the statement, kettles can be a source of accumulated fluoride LINK. What about people that still boil kettles on the stove, I know plenty that do.

Quite so. There seems to be a tendency on this forum for people to reply to a post without having read it properly. But if you get an apology for having your true statement described as bollocks, you will have been luckier than me.

Quite so. There seems to be a tendency on this forum for people to reply to a post without having read it properly. But if you get an apology for having your true statement described as bollocks, you will have been luckier than me.

In my opinion I have read it properly and if it makes everybody happy then I will accept the statement as written is true in that if any amount of steam at all escapes then that will have been converted from water so yes the concentration will increase.

But the statement as I read it was written to give the deliberate impression that there would be a dangerous build up in the concentration of Fluoride in kettles due to evaporation not in an isolated case but the majority of cases. I maintain that to be bollocks as the amount of evaporation in a modern kettle is virtually nil so the chances of a significant increase in Fluoride as a result are basically nil. Yes I accept that it is possible that if you leave a kettle boing away so 50% evaporates before topping up again, letting it evaporate again etc then yes there would be an increase in concentration. But the impression I got was that we were representing the mainstram majority position not isolated cases.

I've just had phone call from a canvasing company asking about doing a survey saying it would take about 10 minutes. When I asked if it was about fluoride in the water and said I was totally against it they put the phone down. Does that mean my opinion doesn't count or will I be marked down as a maybe.

YAWN

rocksyoursoboringad4.th.jpg

I've just had phone call from a canvasing company asking about doing a survey saying it would take about 10 minutes. When I asked if it was about fluoride in the water and said I was totally against it they put the phone down. Does that mean my opinion doesn't count or will I be marked down as a maybe.

You just weren't 'random' enough...

Official release - water will NOT be flouridated here following consultation etc.

Victory for common sense at last :)

Poll result: 54% opposed against only 29% in favour.

Fantastic result and many thanks to all concerned.

:D :D :D

Despite a 5 year campaign by the DHSS the people of the Island spoke out against this proposal and fair play to Minister Teare he was true to his word and listened to public opinion on the matter.

Archived