Council/commissioners Property

Addie

[...and local government who are providing homes for those who can not afford to buy their own. To compare the two is utter nonsense.

I disagree.

Do the rules refer only to the inability of people to buy their own property or do they include those who cannot afford to rent in the private sector?

Also, there is some sense in comparing the two. Many people are in private sector rented property because they can't afford to buy either.

To disregard the problems encountered by those not in public housing would be nonsense too.

Where you live does not always accurately reflect your finances. Hence the debate.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a huge difference between someone who rents their property for profit and local authorities who do so as a non-profit making responsibility.

Speaking as someone who was raised in a counncil house and was fortunate enough to become a home owner at the right time (because I certainly wouldn't have been able to do so even a few years later), I believe that those who rent from local authorities are entitled to some degree of security provided that they are good and responsible tenants.

The problem is that we have moved into a home ownership culture that is very different from what it was a few years ago. At one time it was seen as highly desirable for local authorities to continually extend and improve their housing stock, but the leap in population has made this virtually impossible for them to match the demand.

The simple fact is that there have always been inequities in the allocation of local govt housing. There have always been people who occupied such properties who could have bought their own. there have always been people occupying homes that were larger than they required.

Unless you are advocating - in the manner of the Thatcher creature - that all the local housing authority housing stock should be sold off (except for a small number kept for those in the direst need), that will always be the case.

Going back to the example I gave earlier of a widowed person wanting nothing more than to spend their declining years in the house where their children were raised, surrounded by memories of good and bad times - how many would like the job of going to see them and explaining that they will have to move into a one-bedroom flat, even though most of their treasured souvenirs of the past will have to be discarded?

All the people who are desperate for somewhere to live but can't afford one. They'd probably like that job.

Plenty of home-owners have to sell up and move in their retirement. Lots of them don't like it, but it's part of life, so put your violins away.

I should have known there'd be at least one heartless bastard on the forums.

All the people who are desperate for somewhere to live but can't afford one. They'd probably like that job.

Plenty of home-owners have to sell up and move in their retirement. Lots of them don't like it, but it's part of life, so put your violins away.

From the opposite viewpoint, you could be considered the heartless one for wanting to keep family sized homes from familes who desperately need somewhere to live.

Make that at least two.

Make that at least two.

I make three. Actually I think Lonan3 is equally as heartless by disregarding the difficulties experienced by private renters. We are not all working in the financial sector on fat cat salaries.

hey! i work in the finacial sector and i'm only just able afford to rent privatley and i'm at least 5-10 years away from actually being able to afford an "affordable" first time buyer house.

so to those who are hogging houses needed by those more in need (i'm not including myself) , fuck'em.

I am the fourth heartless bastard. I don't see why it should be considered any worse to tell granddad that he's moving out of his oversized home than it is to tell a low income family with two kids that there is no subsidised housing stock available for them (apart from maybe a one bedroom flat that isn't big enough for gramps).

hey! i work in the finacial sector and i'm only just able afford to rent privatley and i'm at least 5-10 years away from actually being able to afford an "affordable" first time buyer house.

so to those who are hogging houses needed by those more in need (i'm not including myself) , fuck'em.

Here we go "I work in the financial sector". FFS, is that meant to elicit pity or admiration? We don't care where you bleeding work, obviously nowhere that needs good english skills anyway. You don't have to rent privately, fuck off and buy an ex council house in England at a knock down price, see how you enjoy beoing victimised by people who think they are too good for council housing, you smug prick.

And before you attack my use of swear words, people who live in glass houses etc;

Accept the fact that you are not able to live above your means, get a better job or work longer hours are the usual solution that people like you go for, the real answer is to lower your expenditure. get rid of the 42" TV and the playstation. Sell the BMW and use the bus. (I need it for shopping/visiting my mum/getting the sprogs to school/going rambling, et al.)

If you wanted a 'first time buyers' house you would be on the government register as they are allocated when they become available on a list basis, you get on the list and you wait. You ain't on the list boy, you don't get one. For pity's sake shut up whinging and get on with your life not other peoples nerves.

A few fair points have been made in this thread but not much connection between what's being said. For example, there are numerous posts about old, possibly widowed people holding on to 3 bed houses. Where would you have these old people go? In each local authority area there is a very, very limited amount of single person or couples occupancy housing available. That which does exist, is in the form of flats, which may not be practicle for the elderly. Yes, they may be preventing a family from using a 3 bed house but if there's no where else to move them on to, you can't just evict them.

People who earn more than the amount that would see them get a house in the first place shouldn't be evicted automatically either, their rent should be increased until it is in line with market rates for that area and there should be a point where they are encouraged to move on but not evicted. There is a huge gulf between the earnings cut off level for commissioners housing and the amount required to get a mortgage to buy on the island, moving everyone into private sector rented accommodation just provides more victims for the buy-to-rent brigade that many of you moan about, buying up all the houses on your estate.

Affordable housing is in short supply on the island. The 1st time buyer scheme is on it's way to helping but as FTL said, you can expect to wait for 3/4 years before anything comes up on that. From my experience, a lot of people in subsidised housing are on the register, they may be earning more than some of you feel they should, considering they live in subsidised housing but if they go to the private rental market once they're on the list, they may not be able to get the finances together to buy when they are offered a house.

There should be some sort of means test introduced, which highlights those who may not be in as need of their house as others. I don't agree with a pure income test as situations and circumstances are probably different in each household.

Here we go "I work in the financial sector". FFS, is that meant to elicit pity or admiration? We don't care where you bleeding work, obviously nowhere that needs good english skills anyway. You don't have to rent privately, fuck off and buy an ex council house in England at a knock down price, see how you enjoy beoing victimised by people who think they are too good for council housing, you smug prick.

And before you attack my use of swear words, people who live in glass houses etc;

Accept the fact that you are not able to live above your means, get a better job or work longer hours are the usual solution that people like you go for, the real answer is to lower your expenditure. get rid of the 42" TV and the playstation. Sell the BMW and use the bus. (I need it for shopping/visiting my mum/getting the sprogs to school/going rambling, et al.)

If you wanted a 'first time buyers' house you would be on the government register as they are allocated when they become available on a list basis, you get on the list and you wait. You ain't on the list boy, you don't get one. For pity's sake shut up whinging and get on with your life not other peoples nerves.

What about "I’m not including myself" do you not understand?

This was supposed to be a response to doodlebugs fat cat financial sector remark.

Also just for the record I am on the first time buyer scheme but just being on the scheme doesn’t mean im going to get a houses I still have to get a mortgage and a deposit which as I said I CANT AFFORD.

Isnt it a bit fucked up that ive got some unemployed comeover posting about how i should work harder? and how the hell would you know the first thing about me to be making all these generalisations about my lifestyle?

What the fuck was smug about my post?, why yes I must be smug because I don’t like people who abuse a system set up to help those less well off, the only people who deserve council houses are those who need them.

Cock.

Archived