Window Of Opportunity

%age

I was listening to Tynwald on the Radio and it seemed that some sort of deal was done or progressed during that twilght zone that lies between the dissolution of the House of Keys and the Geberal Election. I think it was referred to as "the window of opportunity".

Perhaps someone could offer more details of this.

Anyway, whilst reading my copy of David G Kermode's "Offshore Island Politics" last night - I keep a copy by my bedside - I noticed that this was not the first time such a ruse had been used. In 1920, the great Manx Political Reformer Samuel Norris MHK (Peter Norris of Music Shop's Grandfather) found out only through questioning in Tynwald, that without the knowledge of the House of Keys there had been an increase in the number and salaries of government officials on the eve of Governor Raglan's resignation.

A case of history repeating itself?

Brown, 'the face of Man', has only been in power a few weeks and already he is displaying Blairesque arrogance. 'Politicians shouldn't meddle in Civil Service pay'. He should remember that it is our taxes that pay the civil servants and that the politicians are our representatives whose duty is to keep the executive in check. If Brown keeps up this level of disdain for the electorate he won't last long. Every MHK (every politician, come to that) should have 'Government of the people, by the people, and for the people' branded on their arses the day they enter the House - and then have to recite it at the beginning of every session. Just remember who put you there!

Archived