Castletown Develpment Halted

local skeet

"The 13 million pound Callows Yard redevelopment in the centre of Castletown has been closed down " indefinitely".

The man behind the scheme, Roy Tilleard, says continuing issues with the Health and Safety Inspectorate has left him with no alternative.

And he claims there seems to be little prospect of improvement in the relationship despite his firm " putting considerable effort and resource behind it"" We struggle to see where the problem is".

Mr Tilleard says the site will not be sold and his firm remains committed to developing the town in line with the original plans.

But is this not holding a gun to the head of Government?"

All above from Manx Radio

I also heard that the above named gentleman is possibly on the committee looking into the future of Queens Pier in Ramsey, can someone tell me if that is correct?

LS

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting to know what his "continuing difficulties" were bearing in mind that the Health and Safety executive here only really deal with health and safety at work. If he is not complying with health and safety legislation then he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

As for this being a "dispute with the Isle of Man government", well it isn't. It's a dispute with a statuatory body that works to laws set by government. Why would that have an effect on his involvement with a government committee?

I hope he can sort this out amicably (and within health and safety legislation!) as this development will hopefully bring some life back into Castletown.

It would be interesting to know what his "continuing difficulties" were bearing in mind that the Health and Safety executive here only really deal with health and safety at work. If he is not complying with health and safety legislation then he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

As for this being a "dispute with the Isle of Man government", well it isn't. It's a dispute with a statuatory body that works to laws set by government. Why would that have an effect on his involvement with a government committee?

I hope he can sort this out amicably (and within health and safety legislation!) as this development will hopefully bring some life back into Castletown.

The only questions I have are:

Are any other construction companies having similar difficulties? (I think the answer is no)

What was the response from the Employers Federation last time Mr Brown raised the issue of the cost of safety? (I think the answer was that they were fully behind the HSI.

Several Local Construction companies from the South of the Island have taken legal action against this man for non payment of accounts, One firm McArds Ltd alone have taken out several claims against him, its been well reported in the Manx newspapers over the past few weeks. More than one way to skin a cat.

DOLGE are responsible for H&S on the Isle of Man!

DOLGE are also responsible for Queens Pier in Ramsey!

This gentleman is believed to have a gripe with H&S (DOLGE) over the Callows Yard Redevelopment!

This gentleman is on the working party looking into the future of Queens Pier in Ramsey! Bearing in mind that DOLGE are responsible for Queens Pier, should this gentleman be on the working group to decide it's future?

I personally think not.

I would love to hear what the Minister of DOLGE John Shimmin has to say about this fiasco.

LS

Cheers ste1205

Does anyone know what capacity that this gentleman will fulfill on the Queens Pier working group? i.e is he a builder, an accountant, a layman or what?

LS

King of Castletown

This may answer your question. His CV

I'm impressed. Not with his CV but with the Health & Safety Inspectors who do not roll over with a man of this incredable ability and history.

Sounds like this guy has not started the work because most of the builders in the south are giving him a wide berth.

This is the trouble with money people they love to have a few puppets on a string.

He needs to realise over here if he treads on too many toes he will hit a brick wall.

Archived