Castletown Develpment Halted

local skeet

First of all well done to the H & S Insp for standing up and being counted. I suspect the political pressure on them to get this one sorted will be mighty indeed!

Mr T in his radio interview says that the people of Castletown want him to build this project. Talking to people there my view is the opposite! He is trying to build yet another square and shopping area. Castletown already has one of the most attractive squares in the Island and more than enough shop units down the picturesque streets of Malew and Arbory Street to serve a town of this size. He is going to completely fragment the town and kill off any of the charm that Arbory and Malew Street have ( although I admit this 'charm' has diminished in recent years). There are not enough traders in Castletown as it is to fill the current units - where are all the others going to come from!! I suspect that what is happening is that all the other shops are being purchased/demolished so then there will be no option but for traders to move into the new units.

I believe the new arrangement is going to be you rent a shop and then pay a percentage of your takings on top of the rent. Is this a normal practice?

The only thing Castletown is really short of to encourage people back into the town is car parking - at the moment it is practically non-existent!

Manx Radio comment that Mr T appears to be holding a gun to the Governments head - is this another case of an individual coming over here, expecting everyone to think what a favour he is doing us all. Didn't we have the same thing happen in Santan a few years ago?? :angry: As for the Queens Pier issue, has Mr T offered to help fund the restoration?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all well done to the H & S Insp for standing up and being counted. I suspect the political pressure on them to get this one sorted will be mighty indeed!

Totally agree.

I just hope that with what he's just done, the Castletown commissioners etc will not be so quick to welcome the harbour redevlopment by him. Besides the big plan he has, he also wants to purchase the harbour. Imagine the mess we'd have if he got half way through that and didn't get his own way. Unfortunately the Commissioners view him like Father Christmas thats just rode into town.

Tom i just hope they realise that the money don't make the man.

Why not improve the town centre that is there instead of splitting the place in two?

Sounds like the i am is doing more harm than good.

best thing the folks of castletown can do is don't shop in his shops.

Such a shame the supermarkets have been left to ruin the local trader

I posted a topic on this when it was first mooted - link.

These are the plans so people can try and work out where it is, though its not that clear - if you know Castletown there are the two shopping streets coming off the square - Arbory and Malew Streets - he's bought up the land between them: behind the Chemists. He hasn't got the supermarket - its on the other side of the road, but he's bought 90% of the shops on the left hand side of Malew street and the right hand side of Arbory street looking from the main Square.

cy_layout_plan.jpg

AFAIK nobody really knows what the issue is over H&S - he MUST have had a good relationship with them earlier cos before the development was even through its appeals they'd given him permission to demolish 3 or so buildings due to safety issues - since then another 2 or 3 have come down for the same reason.

There are empty shells of buildings opposite Shoprite - no floors, no floor joists, nothing other than 150 year old walls - wonder what will happen if they are left like that for a period with the site on stop? - Will they need to be demolished due to Health and Safety concerns?

Could be quite an interesting development. Shops along Arbory and Malew Street, with opening into a retail courtyard. I could see how that could benefit Castletown, providing they can get enough shops of the type that people want to travel for. Rather like they do to St. Johns Mills now.

According to some of the shop owners in Castletown, the plans have changed a bit from the ones on display. Not as many shops & open spaces and more apartments.

First thing I thought of when work stopped due to problems with H & S was cash flow problems. Any probem with H & S can be overcome so that seems to be just an excuse. I think one needs to look further afield than H&S, like the Ramsey Pier. Sound as if things are going on behind our back here.

And as for the Castletown harbour - dont they know that King Canute couldnt do what the developer and his Govt buddies propose to do. The Silverburn is a fast flowing river and the sedement streak runs across the bay to Sandrick on wet days. Peel is litle more than a creek with a small river, and the Douglas river flows alongside the marina so causes no problems. Castletown floods with southerly storms, big tides and the river in full flow.

However our weak Commissioners, MHK and Govt being so mesmerised with people with money will probably let him get away with it. They are amateures compared to the developer.

Archived