[BBC News] Manx to Mersey sailings to resume

Newsbot

I've seen supermarket sweep in the past so I suppose a Saturday Liverpool shopping trip is technically possible.

Liverpool/Everton fans should also just get time to see 10 minutes of football (provided the game kicks off at 1pm) before they head back for the return trip. Anyone supporting other teams in the North West can get to Lime Street and will have time to see the name of the town/city they support on the timetable display board - and then can head back to the boat.

Anyone from/visiting Liverpool to visit their missus/girlfriend, will get time to take off their clothes and put them back on again (not much else).

Well done steam packet - we'd be lost without your planning department.

It seems totally pointless - foot passengers get virtually no time to do any shopping etc; motorists heading south gain a little distance but at expense of an earlier start + longer sailing time.

If it were a practice run for ditching Heysham I'd be all for it but the timings don't look as though they could stretch to two return journies a day.

I read it as though Heysham was shut at weekends until April (saves on staff/policing costs) - If the Heyham sailings are to be resumed I hope it will have no effect on the trains as for much of the year I rely on the railway link from Heysham (travelling to/from Liverpool this year was a joke only capped by the collision)

They used to run to Liverpool on a Saturday with the King Orry before she was replaced by the Ben. The King had a door fitted on the Starboard (?) side near to the stern which allowed her to load/offload onto the landing stage in Liverpool. The rest of the week she did her regular run to and from Heysham.

Would it not be possible to fit a similar door to the Ben for winter service? She could leave Douglas at 7 or 7.30 and be in Liverpool by noon. A return at 7.0PM would see her back in Douglas before midnight. Only in the most severe weather would the trips be cancelled, unlike the present situation.

No its just the Saturday and Sunday morning to Heysham and its return that are diverted, the evening sailing still goes to Heysham returning at 02.15

As the Birkenhead facility is designed for freight there will be no interuption to any freight carriage. It will just go via Birkenhead rather than Heysham

The reason for the tight turn around is to keep up the 28 sailings per week schedule the Ben has. Its now 24 to/from Heysham and 4 to from Birkenhead. You can go do a shop in Liverpool, and either stay overnight or coe back via Heysham.

It wouldn't make sense to sit at 12 Quays until 7 pm and lose two sailings or to sail light Birkenhead to Heysham

I suppose you could do all 8 weekend sailings to Birkenhead but I wonder how that would tie in with 12 Quays use by the Norse Merchant fleet

what's needed is a second conventional ferry in reserve, an island cannot afford to be so vulnerable ... we are at the moment so incredibly dependant on one vessel, imagine if the Ben my Chree broke down now...something serious ... we would be in serious trouble!

Archived