[BBC News] Manx to Mersey sailings to resume

Newsbot

Not even reserve

A smaller conventional craft taking cars and apssengers should be capable of deployment all year round liverpool and elsewhere.

There are normally enough freight carriers to hire in in an emergency

A more interesting idea might be the very latest incat seacat.

Lets face it the ones we have are 20 years old nearly. They have ones capable of carrying freight, side loading, all sorts. They are bigger and so can ride bigger wave heights and have much more sophisticated stabilisation

Travelling to Heysham next week which is the route I normally use at it puts me nearer to my family. Had the call today to tell me that I now sail (return) from Quay 12 in Birkenhead. This adds another 56 miles of driving and the toll for the bridge. Can I claim this back? I booked Heysham and they have changed the route not because of bad weather or other problems but because, so I am told "it is a management decision". Any thoughts?

what bridge, what toll?

I was brought up outside Heysham. I have travelled both routes hundreds of times in last 30 years.

Unless you are going north there usually isn't much in it time wise as getting out of Liverpool on to the Motorway is not congestion free.

I want the fastest crossing at the lowest price to a reasonable port of call, at least if I am in a vehicle.

I appreciate that the faster conventional ferries eat fuel oil. Its a shame as there are some good ones around doing 30 + knots but McQuarrie aren't going to buy.

It goes to Birkenhead - that bit across the water from Liverpool on the Wirral - faster access heading south to Motorways but from North either Tunnel from Liverpool (toll) or bridge crossing at Runcorn (?toll) then head up wirral; tho can't see why not M56 + M53 tho a bit longer

either way you add 40 miles, at least, onto your journey

the tunnel toll is hardly all that much and how much extra petrol will you use.

Runcorn bridge is a notorious traffic botle neck

I'd do M6 south and M58 and go right in to Bootle and then down the dual cariageway until you hit central Liverpool anfd the tunnels. I suspect there isn't much in which one you choose

What is going to happen to the freight that normally gets brought in from Heysham at the weekend.

Consignments are slow enough at arriving on the Island at the moment and I presume will be even slower without weekend sailings from Heysham :angry:

We get daily deliveries from across via Heysham - I'd hardly call that slow.

what bridge, what toll?

I was brought up outside Heysham. I have travelled both routes hundreds of times in last 30 years.

Unless you are going north there usually isn't much in it time wise as getting out of Liverpool on to the Motorway is not congestion free.

I want the fastest crossing at the lowest price to a reasonable port of call, at least if I am in a vehicle.

I appreciate that the faster conventional ferries eat fuel oil. Its a shame as there are some good ones around doing 30 + knots but McQuarrie aren't going to buy.

:( Doh! Meant tunnel.

has been such for at least the last half century - we knew it as such when we were kids and used the mersey ferries. Plenty of buses to Pleasant St if you can't walk to James St (tho I normally walk to Lime Street) as there is the new apartments built just down river.

Hamilton Square on merseyrail, from where you can go to Lime street or Chester without getting on the bus and ending up at the Pier Head. Its about half a mile

go and check viamichelin.co.uk for a street by street print out

Archived