E-habitants

Moghrey Mie

Yes, I still have the mug with E-Habitant.net.im on it.

I still remember that being the biggest ever marketing excercise with flags along Peel Road and stuff being handed out in Strand Street.

I remember a long thread on one of the earlier forums or message boards - where a couple of people who worked for the company were arguing that it made any sense - and sensible people saying it was daft rubbish.

As I remember it, the only Government money involved was grants for the marketing? The development of the service was privately funded? But yeah, crap idea.

I kinda visualize that the marketing effort was the fabulously expensive rockets attached to the pointless, laughable vehicle... type-stuff..

The daftest part as I remember it was that the encryption only worked if you were both e-habitants. So were on the same mail server. So your message was never transmitted over the interwebnet. So you didn't need it encrypting....

That aside, the idea of everyone having their own public/private key is actually a good one, in some respects, but it's something that's very difficult to retrofit to the interwebnet. There are better solutions than email, email is very crude, very insecure, a poor identifier of the sender and recipient, and all that, but email is so widely used and it's benefit is that it's widely used which makes it virtually impossible to replace.

Anyway, we all know in the very near future the interwebnet will be owned jointly by google and microsoft, so as long as they secure communications between each other, we'll be good :)

More importantly I never had it properly explained where they got my address and details from as I was not in the phone book at the time. In all these years still no answer to that one, although I have my own thoughts on the matter.

Are you on the electoral roll? If so they have your address, quite simple and legal really.

I did very well out of the e-habitant people. They gave a computer away a day in some competion they ran during the promotion. I won one and had to go to their headquarters with about a dozen or so other winners to pick it up. It was a bog standard business type PC. The one I already had at home was a better spec, so I sold it for £450.00. :)

Archived