Real Courage

Lonan3

I'm not a sentamentalist. Not normally, anyway. But this story moved more than I'd like to admit.

LINK TO STORY

A teenage leukaemia patient from Northumberland, who shunned treatment to spend more time with her family, has died "with dignity", her family said.

Josie Grove, 16, from Corbridge, said in December that she wanted to enjoy what remained of her life after a series of gruelling treatments failed.

She was nominated for a bravery award by nurses, after declaring: "I've had enough of hospitals".

The teenager died at home on Monday, surrounded by her family.

Before Christmas the talented artist and swimmer said: "A course of drugs I took in September left me feeling ill, shaky and aching, and it didn't do much to fight the cancer.

"I want to get on with my life and enjoy spending time with my family."

She died with her parents, Cliff and Jacqui, by her side, along with brothers Freddie, 13, and 10-month-old Charlie, and her 11-year-old sister Libby.

A family statement said: "Josie Madeline Grove passed away peacefully with grace and dignity at home in the arms of her family after a two-and-a-half-year battle with leukaemia.

"The Grove family would like to thank all of those who gave what can only be described as overwhelming support during her final months and which helped give her strength and courage to carry on during her illness.

"It's Josie's wish that she be remembered as the girl who was always smiling. She will be dearly missed."

In a society that too often devalues words such as 'heroic' 'brave' and 'courageous' there seems little left to define something of this kind.

Any chance she just might have been frightened enough of a life in constant pain to decide to get out as quick as possible with her family around her?

Is that courage or pragmatism?

A wee bit cynical there, Skrapps, - even if she wanted to avoid a life in constant pain, knowingly shortening your life and "always smiling", takes a lot of courage in my book.

Archived