Possible Iom Phone Scam!

Last Ten

Just read this article on Manx Radio regarding a possible phone scam by SKY!

I was also contacted by these people yesterday, they appeared to be really very genuine, they asked me if I would like to renew my insurance on my Sky Digi Box which will expire in the next day or so! The price was £60 outright via my credit card or £6 per month via standing order.

I never took them up on this offer, however I did ask them where they were based, they said they were in Ballasalla freeport and were acting on behalf of SKY to renew these insurance deals in the Isle of Man and Jersey.

I think it could be very easy for a less aware person to get sucked in to this one as they appeared very genuine!

Last Ten

Me Mum gets these calls fairly regularly.

The first time, was about 9 months after me Dad died, so she took it fairly seriously, thinking it could have been something he'd taken out but not mentioned. So she said "send me details so I could have a look". We could find no corresponding details on her bank statements and the literature never arrived, but they kept calling back.

One time I was there and spoke to them, explained that we couldn't find the original policy, or any payments. But the explaination was that was because it was the Sky warranty running out. I explained that £60 a year for something that would only be a couple of hundred to fix seemed excessive and that me Mum wasn't interested.

Hasn't stopped the calls.

I had them a while back. Said I didn't want it, they kept calling, I told then to fuck off and i was going to report them to the trading standards and supply them with their phone number. Lo and behold, no more calls.

I hate these phone calls, and if I could reach down the line and grab them by the throat, I would throttle the life out of them!

Having said that, I don't think that this is illegal as they may well be providing the cover offered? Just don't like it anyway!

Do what I do - never answer your landline. Tell all the people that matter to call you on your mobile and just leave the answerphone on for everyone else - bosh, problem solved.

:)

Same here, If its important then they will either leave a message on machine or call my mobile. I dont answer private numbers and dont answer numbers that i dont know - They can leave a text.

I see sky boxes frequently in charity shops and skips, definitely cheaper than £60. When someone moves off the island they always leave it behind, basically throw them away. I go down the freeport occassionally, where are these people hidden?

I actually got one of these phonecalls last week, went along the lines of:

Sky: Hello, can I speak to Mr S please?

Me: Speaking.

Sky: I'm just calling up regarding your Sky box....

Me: I don't have Sky.

Sky: Oh, sorry to have bothered you, goodbye.....

Something tells me they may just be working through the phone book, either that or someone was trying to pull a fast one.

I got the exact same call last week telling me that my digi box was out of guarantee that day, I told him I was amazed as I had had that box for over 7 years. He told me that these things come with a long guarantee these days. Not to say he got the short sharp shock treatment and hasn't called back.

I hate these phone calls, and if I could reach down the line and grab them by the throat, I would throttle the life out of them!

Some of you who have the time, may want to try a game that a mate and I have devised with cold callers.

The object is to keep the caller on the line for as long as possible before they hang up.

There are only two rules. The first is - obviously , give them no information about yourself at all. You tell them as soon as they ask for anything, it is your policy to release no personal information over the phone to cold callers.

The second rule is that they have to hang up on you. The one who can keep the caller on the phone for the longest time wins £? from the other. Every time the record is broken you win/give the other £ ?.

Our record at the moment stands at a surprisingly low 12 minutes 34 seconds. But the most satisfying was a yank trying to sell shares, who after 7 or 8 minutes of really smooth polite patter suddenly snapped and said, "Have a nice day you f****ing jerk. Get a f****ing life". He just had no staying power or was near the end of his shift.

He made my day.

Archived