Cable & Wireless

Last Ten

I heard some snippets on Manx Radio the other morning, when John Moss was talking to a gentleman from Cable and Wireless about their impending mobile phone launch on the Isle of Man, I think that the guy said that their coverage would include 90% of the Isle of Man, well if that is correct they will be doing very well as the Island is very hard to cover due to it's terrain (not sure what MT cover at the moment, anyone know?).

I also heard the guy saying that when they launched their new service in Jersey, they gained 10% of the total market in six weeks, now that is impressive :huh:

The guy signed off by saying "let the battle commence" :unsure:

Link to Cable and Wireless Jersey - Including their mobile pricing structure :rolleyes:

Last ten

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard some snippets on Manx Radio the other morning, when John Moss was talking to a gentleman from Cable and Wireless about their impending mobile phone launch on the Isle of Man, I think that the guy said that their coverage would include 90% of the Isle of Man, well if that is correct they will be doing very well as the Island is very hard to cover due to it's terrain (not sure what MT cover at the moment, anyone know?).

MTs GSM coverage. Rough guideline.

Well the last chief minister has became a director of the board of cable and wireless.

Jobs for the boys yussir :blink:

Just had a look at MTs GSM map. The coverage looks impressive but I just wished it worked well where I live without standing in the garden on one leg with your arm stretched out. The neighbours are beginning to think I'm odd (true)

I welcome any dilution of MTs 20 year stranglehold on this Island's communications. They've served us well but at a very big price & profit which is getting more and more out of step with the world as time goes by. My biggest gripe at the moment is broadband prices. I have a connection on the other island with Tiscali. We are in a location as remote as Andreas and get a 8meg unlimited use connection for £17.99/month. How can MT charge what they do (and force Domicilium to charge the same)?

PS Is there going to be a new airport near Snaefell (see GSM coverage map)?

just talking about coverage, on a trip out in the car yesterday with bluetooth headset on, there were large areas were I was getting a beep for 'no service', so although the phone was inside the car it was obvoiusly 'fringe' coverage a lot of the time.

Thanks for all your replies guys, the GSM coverage map is very unclear and quite frankly could be open to debate, if C&W can get it close to 90% coverage like they said they could, they will have a really good service.

I would love to see some documentation from MT regarding there actual Island % coverage of GSM!

Last 10

Thanks for all your replies guys, the GSM coverage map is very unclear and quite frankly could be open to debate, if C&W can get it close to 90% coverage like they said they could, they will have a really good service.

90% of your customer base is not 90% of land mass. People are easily lead by such statements.

My biggest gripe at the moment is broadband prices. I have a connection on the other island with Tiscali. We are in a location as remote as Andreas and get a 8meg unlimited use connection for £17.99/month. How can MT charge what they do (and force Domicilium to charge the same)?

That's pretty unfair. Domicilium do provide connections that don't involve MT at all, and the prices are still high.

Your on an island, it's a smaller market. You're never going to get prices to match Tiscali.

My biggest gripe at the moment is broadband prices. I have a connection on the other island with Tiscali. We are in a location as remote as Andreas and get a 8meg unlimited use connection for £17.99/month. How can MT charge what they do (and force Domicilium to charge the same)?

That's pretty unfair. Domicilium do provide connections that don't involve MT at all, and the prices are still high.

Your on an island, it's a smaller market. You're never going to get prices to match Tiscali.

But don't MT own all the bits of cable in the gound so anyone wanting an off island connection would have to go through MT's stringy bits? Or is there another way?

But don't MT own all the bits of cable in the gound so anyone wanting an off island connection would have to go through MT's stringy bits? Or is there another way?

I always thought that Cable and Wireless also had a fibre optic cable going off the island but that because of communications license issues they couldn't provide public broadband. Only for business use.

If i'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me because my info was 2nd hand! :-)

No, you can buy the off island stuff from Cable & Wireless.

Slim are you talking about the business broadband from Carnane when you say Domicilium provide connections that don't involve MT? If you are out of line of sight (plus a quarter/third or whatever) of Carnane then MT own the copper pair that brings Domicilium to your house. They therefore have control as they always have had......until sometime in the very near future.

You can say its unfair and your entitled to that opinion but my opinion is that MT overcharged the Manx nation for 20 years. I wonder what Tiscali charge say on er, lets see, Arran, Isle of Wight, Anglesey? What's the real difference? F.all except they don't have the monopoly given to them by the Manx Gov in exchange for a "small consideration" back in I think it was 1986.

C&W's ad in Manx Tales mentions www.surething.im but there doesn't seem to be a site there, unless it's down :(

Hi TOG

I think that their Jersey outfit is also named Sure Mobile so their Manx website has probably not been launched as yet!!!

According to their Jersey price guide, Text = 6p and all calls to other sure mobiles = 12p so that is quite good especially when it costs me a fortune to keep in touch with my kids on MT PAYG.

Last Ten

Archived