Cable & Wireless

Last Ten

Having attended C & W's launch party at Bar George last night.

Are you telling us it was a full blown C&W Isle of Man launch?

Yes or No will do.

Last Ten

The event at Bar George was for the launch of BlackBerry. I think that Cable & Wireless are planning their full launch in the summer.

The powerpoint presentation on the BlackBerry was a bit of a disaster - but the event in general was quite good.

Agree about the canapes...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can grab a 2 month free trial of the Blackberry from C&W.

As their network is not up until 'summer' they will incur any roaming charges until then. Would be nice to have some kind of firm date here tho.

Been asking MT to sell the damn things for years..

Likewise, and that was going back a good few years. The alternative was Smartner (ergh) - although I wouldn't be surprised if MT started doing Blackberries now too. They're ace.

Yep, tried the smartner with no success, seemed to eat battery life and airtime. It's apparently called Sven now although MT's website still points to the old stuff.

I mainly like the idea of the blackberries for the fixed costs. All the alternatives are by the min, which for push email is daft. Nice fixed rate deal onna blackberry and you know your Sales Director isn't going to rack up a huge bill sending jokey powerpoints to his mates...

MT doing blackberry all of a sudden, what a coincidence!

Just called em, and it is as Tearz said, free trial for 2 months. You're attached to Jersey and roaming over MT for now but they pick up the cost.

Am I seeing right?!

MT assisting C&W or are they just making some cash out of C&W???

Anyway, C&W and Cloud 9 are doing loads and loads of aerial rigging on many IOM masts at the moment, so something is definitely happening :)

Last Ten

In case anyones interested, I've done a quick price comparrison for Blackberries, Cable & Wireless IOM vs Vodafone & O2 uk.

Monthly charge per handset inc Roaming:

O2: £48 (1gb data)

Voda: £41 (3mb data)

C&W: £40 (5mb data)

Extra Data:

O2: £.75 per mb

C&W: £1.50 per mb

Vodafone: £8.75 per mb

So clearly, C&W is cheaper if you're going to stay inside the stingy 5 mb data limit. O2 is the daddy if you're going to use more than 10mb a month. Vodaphones an utter rip off. The C&W sales chap was quite proud of saving other companies cost vs their Vodafone blackberries that are roaming on the Island and I can easily see why.

I heard some snippets on Manx Radio the other morning, when John Moss was talking to a gentleman from Cable and Wireless about their impending mobile phone launch on the Isle of Man, I think that the guy said that their coverage would include 90% of the Isle of Man, well if that is correct they will be doing very well as the Island is very hard to cover due to it's terrain (not sure what MT cover at the moment, anyone know?).

MTs GSM coverage. Rough guideline.

Looks like you get good coverage in "Conchan"!!!

Right, got me blackberry trial thing. Pretty much the only issue I have with it is the poor GPRS reception, I have to do the usual standing in the window waving me arms about to get it work. This is the same experience I had with the MT email stuff, unsurprisingly. Hopefully the C&W network will be betterer when it appears.

I thought we had a UMTS network here now? Anyone know why C&W can't roam on that but they can on crappy ole GRPS?

Archived