April Must Have Arrived Early This Year

Addie

http://www.manxradio.com/readItem.aspx?ID=...mp;cate=General

Peterkarrancrop3x.jpg

The outspoken MHK for Onchan Peter Karran will take on a prominent 'establishment' role today (Tuesday) when he sits as Acting Speaker in the House of Keys.

The job has fallen to Mr Karran as he is not a member of any government department or board - and Speaker Steve Rodan is off-Island.

It's unlikely to be a long session, with only eight questions tabled for oral answer today - and one bill for third reading.

Marian Kenny reports:

(Text of attached audio)

Mr Karran is more used to asking questions than presiding over them. He frequently seeks answers and explanations from ministers on a wide range of issues.

Today though his stance will be neutral as he ensures orderly business in the Keys.

Speaker? Peter? :blink: This IS for real, right?

It does seem a bit unlikely doesn't it.

Peter Karran did an excellent job as Acting Speaker. Question time was broadcast on Manx Radio AM so I am sure anyone who listened will agree.

I was in the Public Gallery this morning along with over 20 other people, which made it quite full as there are usually about 3 or 4 at most go to the House of Keys sittings. They weren't all there to witness the PK phenomenon and I think they were mostly anglers who were there for a question about access to the Victoria Pier as they left after the answer from the Minister for Transport

As a young lad I used to fish off the end of that pier but then the the people who run transport departments and harbours and stuff must have realised they could get a kick out of flexing their power and so there are big iron gates stopping the ordinary person from walking to the end of the pier.

But back on topic, Peter Karran done well in the Speaker's chair. He didn't wear the wig though.

It was a sight to behold to see him being leading out of the House. :)

Peter Karran did an excellent job as Acting Speaker. Question time was broadcast on Manx Radio AM so I am sure anyone who listened will agree.

I was in the Public Gallery this morning along with over 20 other people, which made it quite full as there are usually about 3 or 4 at most go to the House of Keys sittings. They weren't all there to witness the PK phenomenon and I think they were mostly anglers who were there for a question about access to the Victoria Pier as they left after the answer from the Minister for Transport

As a young lad I used to fish off the end of that pier but then the the people who run transport departments and harbours and stuff must have realised they could get a kick out of flexing their power and so there are big iron gates stopping the ordinary person from walking to the end of the pier.

But back on topic, Peter Karran done well in the Speaker's chair. He didn't wear the wig though.

At the end of the day, as far as that's concerned Peter did well. And he used his own hair for the job.

At the end of the day, as far as that's concerned Peter did well. And he used his own hair for the job.

I agree totally with your sentiment that Peter did well. Congratulations to him! He was a bit nervous at the start but grew into the role, he should be given the Deputy Speaker job without question! Well done him!

I bet he was pissing himself with laughter.

I suspect he wasn't alone there. :rolleyes:

PS Has it really been a year since your last post, Mr Woo? lol

Heck no, I was a prolific poster (by my standards) as recently as January 07 when I fired off a mighty 3 missives!

Archived