Id Cards Needed To Leave The Isle Of Man?

Cronky

Dunno. I've just never been asked.

In the past 5 years, for example, I've travelled through airports at Sumburgh, Kirkwall, Wick, Stornoway, Inverness, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, IoM, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Southampton, Gatwick, Heathrow, and probably others I can't recall.

Not once have I been asked for photo identification.

I travel between here and Bristol. Not only do they ask for photo ID at least 3 times, they also ask me why I want to visit the Island..

Same for with me and Bristol, Norwich, London City, and Manchester. I think this conundrum can only be explained if we assume Ynsheltyn to be David Hasselhof, in which case:

a. Photo identification would be unneccesary;

b. Famously, the Hof does not like being hassled. Thus the check in staff might be too intimidated to ask for any in case he runs at them in a slow motion rage.

With regards to ID for children, it seems to be the same over the EEA and I suspect the requirement to show photo identification for children travelling between the IoM and the UK is actually a quirk of much broader legislation designed to combat child smuggling into Europe. Which, if the case, seems reasonable enough to me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunno. I've just never been asked.

In the past 5 years, for example, I've travelled through airports at Sumburgh, Kirkwall, Wick, Stornoway, Inverness, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, IoM, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Southampton, Gatwick, Heathrow, and probably others I can't recall.

Not once have I been asked for photo identification.

I travel between here and Bristol. Not only do they ask for photo ID at least 3 times, they also ask me why I want to visit the Island..

That's a bit cheeky. Just because they don't like it here... :D

Same for with me and Bristol, Norwich, London City, and Manchester. I think this conundrum can only be explained if we assume Ynsheltyn to be David Hasselhof

No, not David Hasselhof. I guess that my startlingly handsome visage just temporarily disorientates the check in staff and they forget to ask.

No, not David Hasselhof. I guess that my startlingly handsome visage just temporarily disorientates the check in staff and they forget to ask.

On the other hand...

Maybe they are repelled by the face. :blink: They are impressed by my courage to go out in public with a face like this, and don't wish to embarass me by asking whether I also have to carry a photo of it.

Hmmm...

Archived