Loads Of People, Mostly Old....

Amadeus

World population expected to reach 9.2 billion by 2050

13 March 2007 – The world’s population is on track to surpass 9 billion persons by 2050, according to the newly released 2006 Revision of the official United Nations population estimates and projections, which also predict that the number of elderly persons will hit 1 billion....

...According to the 2006 Revision, the world population will likely increase by 2.5 billion over the next 43 years, passing from the current 6.7 billion to 9.2 billion in 2050. This increase is equivalent to the total size of the world population in 1950, and it will be absorbed mostly by the less developed regions, whose population is projected to rise from 5.4 billion in 2007 to 7.9 billion in 2050....

.....As a result of declining fertility and increasing longevity, the populations of more and more countries are ageing rapidly. Between 2005 and 2050, half of the increase in the world population will be accounted for by a rise in the population aged 60 years or over, whereas the number of children (persons under age 15) will decline slightly. Furthermore, in the more developed regions, the population aged 60 or over is expected nearly to double (from 245 million in 2005 to 406 million in 2050), whereas that of persons under age 60 will likely decline (from 971 million in 2005 to 839 million in 2050).

So, according to the UN, the world will be full of pensioners in 2050 - all sweating because of global warming. Bit like Marbella during British winter, then....

Seriously, though - 9.2 f&%"*ng billion! How much space is there?....

But logic dictates these elderly persons will not live forever and when they do drop off the perch there will be so much space to play in and house prices will be so low due to low demand, hang on in there until 2100 and we will acheive nirvana for the, then, elderly. I'll be 145 then and I'll be after your women folk.

Maybe Matthew Parris, writing in The Independent, has the answer:

Geriatrics required: bomb disposal, asbestos removal etc

...the elderly ought to be up for laboratory testing, or mine clearing, bomb disposal, testing new designs of parachutes or exploring caves...

To be honest, I'm a bit busy at the moment.... but I believe Rog has retired now and would possibly like something to provide him with an interest?

Archived