[BBC News] Fatal accident on mountain road

Newsbot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry to hear this girl89.

My son lost a friend of his in the recent crash in Ramsey, and found it difficult to cope. The one thing that he did say helped was talking to friends, and making sure that it was reciprocated.

Condolences to family and friends.

A terrible tragedy. I lost two friends the same age as me, one 11, one 13 - which had a profound effect on me. One had a little brother who died with him, exactly the same age as my little brother at the time.

There is always risk in life, in everything we do - but life would be nothing without risk. I often think about them, and gain a bit more strength sometimes, as those thoughts remind me that life is short enough as it is, and that when I need to make a decision no opportunity should ever be lost. They do live on inside of us in many ways.

I have a son who is 17 and learning to drive, and I can just about imagine what his parents are starting to go through. One of the most painful things you have to do when kids grow up is let them go - out of your control and into the world of risk and opportunity and just hope that things work out well for them - but that's all you can do.

Very sad, my condolences to the family and friends.

I agree, Albert. Growing up, (and indeed life as an adult), is all to do with judgement and risk taking, learning those skills is a very necessary part of growing up. If we want to rear well-rounded adults, then we must let them take risks and learn for themselves, under guidance of course. But, that is little consolation in these circumstances.

It's just so unfair though. Why isn't there a speed limit on the mountain? I know it would only end up being broken, but if it was more...carefully controlled then it might stop things like this happening. One wrong move on the mountain and you've had it. Stuff like this can't keep happening. xxxx

A terrible tragedy. I lost two friends the same age as me, one 11, one 13 - which had a profound effect on me. One had a little brother who died with him, exactly the same age as my little brother at the time.

There is always risk in life, in everything we do - but life would be nothing without risk. I often think about them, and gain a bit more strength sometimes, as those thoughts remind me that life is short enough as it is, and that when I need to make a decision no opportunity should ever be lost. They do live on inside of us in many ways.

I have a son who is 17 and learning to drive, and I can just about imagine what his parents are starting to go through. One of the most painful things you have to do when kids grow up is let them go - out of your control and into the world of risk and opportunity and just hope that things work out well for them - but that's all you can do.

Yes - I had a schoolfriend who died (of cancer) when he was 20, the same age as me at the time. I think that when you are young, and this happens, you do not forget them and in fact there is scarcely a day goes by that I do not think of him. He was very clever technically, and I often think he would have been an absolute expert with today's gadgets and would have conquered the world of computing with a storm. Alas he died in the early 80s, a world away from ours, now. This was only a friendship, nothing more, but a precious one nevertheless.

I hope the friends of the lad who lost his life will remember him with fondness, too, across the years. I am sure they will.

It's just so unfair though. Why isn't there a speed limit on the mountain? I know it would only end up being broken, but if it was more...carefully controlled then it might stop things like this happening. One wrong move on the mountain and you've had it. Stuff like this can't keep happening. xxxx

A terrible thing to happen to a young lad. My sympathy to all affected by his death.

A speed limit isn't a substitute for judgement. Even with a 30 mph limit, there would be times when it wouldn't be safe to drive up there at 30 mph, and the nature of the road and its location mean that speed limits wouldn't be enforceable.

If the lad was only 17, it's quite likely (given his age) that he was on "R" plates anyway, and would have been legally restricted to driving at 50mph.

At the end of the day, people are responsible for their own actions, not the state & learning to drive at appropriate speed for the conditions is something that comes with experience. Unfortunately it's often those who haven't built up the wisdom and judgement who end up paying the price for this freedom. Poor lad.

<quote>the nature of the road and its location mean that speed limits wouldn't be enforceable.</quote>

It would be perfectly possible to enforce most speed restrictions (eg as in France raised curbs to seperate lanes and enforce lower speeds, use of rough surfaces, speed bumps, etc ) - what you cannot have is a dual use public road and racetrack without seriously compromising saftey for those who are tempted to emulate the latter.

I remember driving at 17. It's so hard to concentrate and keep the car on the road when you are that young.

Poor lad, we could have all ended up like him but for a bit of good fortune.

There could even be an argument that it would be wise to prohibit driving until the brain has matured at around 28 years of age. :(

I know it all seems like reasonable assumptions, but aren't we jumping the gun a little bit in assuming that the accident was purely speed related/driver error? I haven't actually seen that reported as such so far.

Whatever the cause, it is always tragic when a young life is ended so abruptly and so prematurely.

I know it all seems like reasonable assumptions, but aren't we jumping the gun a little bit in assuming that the accident was purely speed related/driver error? I haven't actually seen that reported as such so far.

Whatever the cause, it is always tragic when a young life is ended so abruptly and so prematurely.

Quite right. Even a blow out at 40-50mph can send a vehicle out of control and I have seen it happen on well maintained vehicles.

A sad loss. My condolences to the family and friends.

Yes I was just going to say that I hope nobody judges that this was a speed related incident. No doubt people will pre-judge that because he was a 17 year old that he was a boy racer, trying to go as fast as he can. This could be the truth but lets not jump to conclusions :)

Archived