5 Million Jobs For The Boys ?

Roger Smelly

What industry do you know that can go cap in hand and get free money to operate ?

Have a quick look here: free money for all

edited to add:

Regardless of the above, there is one simple fact: We should all support local industry, if it be farming, fishing, joiners, hotels or whatever. Every pound spent with a local company is a pound invested in the economy of the Island.

It's true that it's cheaper to buy a pint of milk or loaf of bread in Mosside than it is in Maughold, but let's be honest; where would you rather live?

What industry do you know that can go cap in hand and get free money to operate ?

Have a quick look here: free money for all

edited to add:

Regardless of the above, there is one simple fact: We should all support local industry, if it be farming, fishing, joiners, hotels or whatever. Every pound spent with a local company is a pound invested in the economy of the Island.

It's true that it's cheaper to buy a pint of milk or loaf of bread in Mosside than it is in Maughold, but let's be honest; where would you rather live?

I generally will buy local when I have the option. I just don't see why there should be mandatory indirect cash transfers less well-off among us to the better-off among us

Mosside.

Can you even buy a loaf of bread in Maughold?

No better argument on this subject for me!

By the by, I bought a loaf of Hovis Best of Both bread this week,; it was 7p cheaper than my normal Ramsey Bakery Gold Crust. Yes, there are cheaper loaves, but they are stuffed with those nasty (hydrogenated?) fats that are getting really bad press at the mo. Overall, I don't think my food bill is any dearer than when I lived across; you gets what you pay for. If you want to pay cheap prices, particularly for meat, then you will get crap, mass produced junk. I would rather pay the Manx meat premium, knowing that the animals have been reared outdoors in Manx fields where I can see them every day.

Rubbish. Why should low income wage earners support landowners who could not otherwise make a living. Balls to them. If I am a joiner, and I can't make money doing what I do, I don't get the government to fix prices for carpentry at a level much higher than would otherwise be the case. It IS possible for farmers to make money without subsidy - the Kiwis and Aussies do. So let the ones who can take over the farms of the ones who can't. It's just twaddle to think that we all somehow benefit by allowing farmers to sell stuff for more than they should. FARMERS benefit. Nobody else does

Not quite true, the Manx government currently does protect joiners and many other trades, through both the work permit system and the training schemes (and limited number of training placements) on offer. There are few if any joiners on the dole queue.

New Zealand's farmers were previously subsidised by up to 40% of their income when their subsidies were abolished. In the three years after, 800 NZ farms went bust (1%) and many struggled and land prices plummeted - which on an island the size of the Isle of Man - several farmers going bust could potentially have a significant effect on the whole economy, including probably even the price of your house and would eventually impact inflation. As others have mentioned, UK and European farmers are already subsidised.

A £5m 'competition grant' will not go far in the big scheme of things and IOM farmers will have to rely mostly on their wits anyway. If agriculture represents 1% of island GDP = £15m, then if managed properly over 5 years this fund could provide

substantial pay-offs for all of us.

Quote 'The removal of farm subsidies in New Zealand has given birth to a vibrant, diversified and growing economy.'

See Life After Subsidies

www.fcpp.org/pdf/lifeaftersubsidies.pdf

Archived