North Korea? A Future Threat?

joeyconcrete

Read this before

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp.../112102/1/.html

Pyongyang has not finished developing uranium-based nuclear weapons, but has completed the development of a plutonium bomb similar to the one dropped by the United States on Nagasaki at the end of World War II

North Korea appear hostile to the West (well everywhere i guess) - and there's growing evidence they're developming nuclear weapons. First question in my mind is why? and second reason is, if the US is so determined to rid the planet of these type of regimes why arent they doing anything. I've a feeling they'd be worried about the consequences..

I think something bad will happen with North Korea in my lifetime.

As a people, the North Koreans are totally brainwashed by their government into hating the west. They don't have the greatest of human rights records against their own people and the country doesn't even have electricity nation-wide (or it does but its not switched on at certain times). I've seen a few documentaries on North Korea now and none of them have inspired much hope to be honest. Their fanatical in the extreme and if the USA pushes the right buttons with them, it will be all out war. I think that's why they've left them alone tbh, I don't think its a fight they want to get into.

Mind you, if they start lobbing nukes about, I'm sure it won't be long before the trigger happy yanks retaliate.

Err no. Basically the North invaded the South. The South was pushed well back until they (the fledgling UN) made an amphibious landing well North. Ignoring the global politics they pushed the NK forces back towards the Chinese border meaning to finish it (or maybe like Iraq the politicians had no "exit" strategy). Not wanting to see it's client state defeated and Yanks on it's borders the Chinese launched a massive invasion as their stockpile of shock troops was enormous (and still is). They pushed the UN back until a ceasefire was called along the nn prarallel (well, at least I can spell parallel!).

That's where it is now. If ever Ladbrookes give odds on where the 3rd WW will break out put your money on Korea.

Okay thanks for that. I did google it but only got American sites and couldn't be arsed reading them. I always remember it as being referred to as the 'forgotten war'. I know a couple of people who served there but sadly I'm not in contact with them anymore (nor do I know where they are these days as the contact details I have for them are no longer valid).

I'll have a dig about and see if I can come up with any useful resources. If I do, I'll post some links.

I think you're right about the bet though, I can't see it kicking off big style anywhere else tbh.

I thought N. Korea was on Bush's list for the 'Axis of Evil' I presume once he has finished with his latest 'vietnam' he wanted to move on to them?

Taken from Bush's State of the Union Address - 2002

"Our second goal is to prevent regimes that sponsor terror from threatening America or our friends and allies with weapons of mass destruction. Some of these regimes have been pretty quiet since September the 11th. But we know their true nature. North Korea is a regime arming with missiles and weapons of mass destruction, while starving its citizens.

States like these, and their terrorist allies, constitute an axis of evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world. By seeking weapons of mass destruction, these regimes pose a grave and growing danger. They could provide these arms to terrorists, giving them the means to match their hatred. They could attack our allies or attempt to blackmail the United States. In any of these cases, the price of indifference would be catastrophic.

We will work closely with our coalition to deny terrorists and their state sponsors the materials, technology, and expertise to make and deliver weapons of mass destruction. We will develop and deploy effective missile defenses to protect America and our allies from sudden attack. (Applause.) And all nations should know: America will do what is necessary to ensure our nation's security. "

Link: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...0020129-11.html

Need I say more?

I thought N. Korea was on Bush's list for the 'Axis of Evil' I presume once he has finished with his latest 'vietnam' he wanted to move on to them?

Taken from Bush's State of the Union Address - 2002

/off topic

I prefer the 2004 version myself: State of the union address 2004. ;)

Listen carefully, there's some real corkers in there. :)

Any associations between the current situation and Vietnam merely demonstrates ignorance of their capabilities. Hopefully North Korea is marginalised enough already to make it a local nuclear threat rather than a global one.

Am I alone on here or what?????

Archived