Tt Funfair

localyokel

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really doesn't affect me either way as I don't really go to the fair these days. It was something I enjoyed in my youth (off island) but it holds little appeal for me these days.

I do like Fido's suggestion about the carnival though, maybe MF could enter a float too?

Looking at David Christian's comments on manx radio today is anyone that bothered about having no fair on the prom?

Funfair is ace and really sets off the atmosphere - they'd better have some half decent plans - announcing this sort of thing when we're almost in APRIL doesn't fill me with confidence.

announcing this sort of thing when we're almost in APRIL doesn't fill me with confidence.

Announcing this thing this late is par for the course for the half-arsed way the DTL liaise with others and throw TT Week together in the most alarming Heath Robinson fashion.

Off topic a bit, but I found a picture from the 1990 of the start of a Douglas Carnival. 1990a.jpg

The Port Erin Regatta has started again with a good degree of success so far. I think that Douglas Carnival needs to return too, and aye, if it can accommodate the Fun Fair then all well and good.

It really doesn't affect me either way as I don't really go to the fair these days. It was something I enjoyed in my youth (off island) but it holds little appeal for me these days.

I do like Fido's suggestion about the carnival though, maybe MF could enter a float too?

I have a vision of a trailer filled with people on their laptops.

A funfair does NOT belong at the TT

Russ Swift (Boy Racer hero extrordinaire) does NOT belong at the TT

Pushchairs and under 16s should be banned from the bushies enclosure (I forget how many anklebiters/pushchairs tripped me up last year)

They should also relax the current "let's close the prom every night...health and safety dont ya know" since it is fact that there has never been a serious/fatal injury involving a motorcycle on the promenade in the past 20 years. Visitors doing a few wheelies and burnouts is what drunken bikers want to see, not some pillock doing handbrake turns in a Mini.

And with all the money the IOM Government has, FFS book a decent rock band, not blues, pop, jazz or easy listening.. ROCK.

Anyone has issues with my comments will be able to find me soaking up the sun surrounded by booze on the pavement outside the busheys tent from about 5 mins after it opens this year ;)

I have a vision of a trailer filled with people on their laptops.

Well it would be quite a good float. It would be very like a forum night out as depicted here :Forum Folk but on the back of a truck. Maybe we could get the likes of FCMR to sponsor us and some of the other businesses who use the forum.

Incidentally I think I see me somewhere in the collage, and I shall be attending the forum night out next weekend, if that is ok.

My 4½ year old son is most upset that the funfair is not coming over this year as he had been looking forward to it since last year. Yes it might cost you an arm and a leg to take them, but it's only once a year and seeing how much fun he had last time, to me it was worth it as an annual treat.

Douglas Promenade was always the wrong place for the funfair IMO. It was probably just about acceptable when it was at Noble's Park.

This year, however, with the TT spread out around the island due to campsites and homestay far outnumbering hotel places available, why shouldn't it be moved out of Douglas?

Say, is it just me or is there a slight feeling of organisational panic emerging? No funfair, use steam trains for transport, please offer more homestay - must be rather challenging for the powers that be...

Couldn't the funfair thing be a policing decision as well? It'll be 300 bobbies for 100.000+ people during TT...

I've taken part in some informal discussions with the police about the arrangements. They're already going to be a bit streteched with the entertainment being on the Harris Prom and Bushy's tent being in it's usual place. The possibility of the funfair being somewhere else in Douglas certainly wouldn't help.

I've taken part in some informal discussions with the police about the arrangements. They're already going to be a bit streteched with the entertainment being on the Harris Prom and Bushy's tent being in it's usual place. The possibility of the funfair being somewhere else in Douglas certainly wouldn't help.

I thought they were bringing in re-enforcements from Jersey?

benny%20hill2.jpg

The majority of security at the funfair has been supplied by third parties for the past few years, with minimal Police intervention, mainly for drunken teenage fights & subsequent Paedophile Carnie investigations.

A carnival wouldn't work. By the time it died, it had slumped into a never-ending procession of majorettes watched by an uninterested public. Hardly Rio. To get a carnival to work, you need massive involvement from the public, competing carnival societies & a real will to provide top-class entertainment, not just slinging handfuls of sweets from the back of a lorry covered in crepe paper.

I feel rather hurt. :) but I see your point.

Port Erin Regatta is rejuvenating ok. No carnival can ever be like Rio of course. I think most towns and villages throughout Britain and probably Europe have some sort of annual festival.

Douglas Isle of Man simply can't be arsed it seems.

Maybe if there were a float depicting lots of money and called "Greed" we could all line the promenade 10 deep and worship it as it went past.

Archived