Serious Accidents

issues99

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is it with the Manx police and post accident road closing? It's very inconvenient. If they just dragged the damaged vehicles to the side of the road they could let everyone on their way and continue the paperwork at the roadside. That's what happens everywhere else.

What evidence have you got to criticise the police? Are you in the force? And this thread is not about how well or not the police do thier job.

find another thread to post your crap

What evidence have you got to criticise the police?

I'm not criticising the police, I'm just wondering why they seem to keep the roads closed for a lot longer than their UK counterparts.

Are you in the force?

No.

And this thread is not about how well or not the police do thier job.

My post is perfectly relevant to your gossipy little topic. If you don't like it then don't start threads.

The traffic police have the toughest job over here, I have seen first hand some very nasty accidents (as I am sure many of you have) and being subjected to that is a very harrowing experience. I would not think of critisizing their reasons for closing roads in the event of a serious accident as I am not a vacuous inane waste of space.

Keyboarder however....

What evidence have you got to criticise the police?

I'm not criticising the police, I'm just wondering why they seem to keep the roads closed for a lot longer than their UK counterparts.

Are you in the force?

No.

And this thread is not about how well or not the police do thier job.

My post is perfectly relevant to your gossipy little topic. If you don't like it then don't start threads.

your post isnt relevant, the police are investigating a possible fatal accident but you think they should open the road straight away because poor old you will have to take a diversion to get where you want to go.

The traffic police have the toughest job over here, I have seen first hand some very nasty accidents (as I am sure many of you have) and being subjected to that is a very harrowing experience. I would not think of critisizing their reasons for closing roads in the event of a serious accident as I am not a vacuous inane waste of space.

Keyboarder however....

Ok, ignoring your silly insults, maybe you could outline these reasons then, and what makes the island unique when it comes to accidents?

Keyboarder however....

Ok, ignoring your silly insults, maybe you could outline these reasons then, and what makes the island unique when it comes to accidents?

Why outline these reasons? How do you know that things are done so different in the uk?

How do you know that things are done so different in the uk?

Just personal experience. For example, I've done a lot of motorway miles and seen many pile ups. The priority for the police in these circumstances seems to be to get traffic flowing normally again as soon as possible. I saw the aftermath of the incident on Castletown Rd this afternoon. On being diverted at the roundabout I saw a bike on its side in the road with just a couple of officers milling around. Twenty-ish minutes later the scene was exactly the same. It can't take that long to gather any necessary evidence surely?

Just personal experience. For example, I've done a lot of motorway miles and seen many pile ups. The priority for the police in these circumstances seems to be to get traffic flowing normally again as soon as possible. I saw the aftermath of the incident on Castletown Rd this afternoon. On being diverted at the roundabout I saw a bike on its side in the road with just a couple of officers milling around. Twenty-ish minutes later the scene was exactly the same. It can't take that long to gather any necessary evidence surely?

if the accident is serious the police have to investgate how it happened (the chalk you see on the road after a bad accident.) They can only do this properly on closed roads. it has been known in the past for the police to close that particular road at a later stage to contine investigatons.

It has to be done no matter how long it takes. Public/police want to know why someone was hurt.

As far as motorways go, i have been caught up in many a tailback due to accidents, where no one moves for hours.

Although i understand road closures are a pain but i would rather be a bit late getting somewhere than hindering an investigation

well i don't know where you are getting your information from but it Seems like they shut the roads in the uk for hours after a serious accident, just like they do over here as This story shows.

The road was closed for most of Saturday.

There were plenty of yellow chalk marks on the Castletown Road when it re-opened this afternoon. I am assuming that the police would prefer cars not to be whizzing by while they mark the road. Seems kind of sensible to me.

Just a note to say that the red 4x4 was not reversing out of their driveway. They checked there was nothing coming and pulled out forwards. The bike came flying round the corner and hit the rear end of the 4 x 4.

The New Castletown road was closed as a bike hit a pedestrian who walked out of a little lane half way up on the left. (at the bus stop) They had to do the markings of the bits and bobs lying in the road after getting the poor bloke off to Nobles. Then ground photos , then get the fire brigade with their turn table ladder to get bird eye shots of the scene. Then more tests to work out the speed the bike was traveling. Recovery of the bike , then cleaning of the road , to get the red stuff up ! The police aren't sat round twiddling their thumbs you know. I think that they do an excellent job, and would much prefer the roads to be kept shut, if this meant that they could work out if there was anyone / anything else to have contributed to the accident.

Thanks for that MB, I was trying to work out what had happened and what kind of vehicle(s) was involved as the yellow markings were pretty well all over the road. Sadly, I doubt either the biker or the pedestrian came off too well in this one. :(

I agree that the road had to be closed to let the police do their job, and I did see the aftermath of the wash down (which was quite chilling and drew my attention to the markings on the road).

On a lighter note, it was quite cool to be waved through a red light by a policeman earlier in the afternoon!

Although I would rather you were banned from these forums rather than rise to your question, I will elaborate.

When there is a serious road accident (serious meaning either a loss of life, major injuries, or where there is reasonable evidence that the accident was caused by variables that could lead to a more dangerous incident in the same place in the future) then the Police have an obligation to make a full and thorough investigation.

These sorts of investigations cannot be carried out on open roads, and in the current climate of Health and Safety, having officers and medical staff wandering up and down an open road with tape measures, Marker Spray and Cameras is out of the question. They need to be able to carry out their work in the safest and most time effective means possible. If this means closing the road so they can carry out this work without having to look over their shoulder for vehicles, then that is fine by me.

The UK accidents you and I will see are mainly on Motorways/Dual Carraigeways (as we are usually travelling to a specific location using the shortet/quickest route = the aforementioned roads), where there are multiple lanes in each direction. If it is deemed safe to carry out a roadside investigation whilst still keeping a lane open for traffic, then that is the course of action they will take. As you know, most of the Island's roads are single carraige, so this option is not available.

If you actually think about the differences between the UK/IOM roads, you might have thought of some of these points, and kept your mouth shut....but you didn't.

Your rebuttal I await and.....no...actually, I cannot be arsed, and I am going to bed.

Archived