Serious Accidents

issues99

This guy was not taking chances and was driving swiftly but safely

Your post was going well up to this point. How do you define swiftly?

I think the Institute of Advanced Motorists call it "making progress" or something similar

EG

2.7 Maintaining Progress

The Advanced Rider should be able to make progress up to the

speed limit, when it is safe, on all types of roads. Whilst progress

should be maintained, it will be sacrificed where necessary for

additional safety. Restraint should also be shown where

appropriate. The candidate should plan for progress, even if the

conditions reduce the opportunity for making progress.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a car stopped to allow him to cross the road

This is one of my pet peeves - if you are going to do something like that you have to make damn sure you're not putting anyone in danger. I've seen it happen when drivers wave other cars out in to traffic, wave pedestrians across the road, or change the rules at roundabouts and wave cars through on their left

I have waved people on at a roundabout (to my left) before, purely due to the fact they are sat there like a frozen rabbit waiting for the roundabout to be completely devoid of other vehicles before moving on, usually with half a dozen angry motorists stuck behind them.

I think the Institute of Advanced Motorists call it "making progress" or something similar

EG

2.7 Maintaining Progress

Indeed. This confirms to me my opinion that one cannot approach the Barregarrow crossroads both swiftly and safely. This road is little more than a country lane with hazards all around. Everybody knows that the Isle of Man roads have many doddery old drivers, boy racing R platers, mobile phone addicts, etc,etc, and should drive at speeds that will make it easier to deal with unexpected hazards. I know that on paper, a driver who cuts across a bike which subsequently ploughs into the side of it is to blame. But on paper doesn't mean anything if you've just been killed in this way.

I have waved people on at a roundabout (to my left) before, purely due to the fact they are sat there like a frozen rabbit waiting for the roundabout to be completely devoid of other vehicles before moving on, usually with half a dozen angry motorists stuck behind them.

Before changing the rules of the road did you stop to consider the consequences?

I had a near miss once when I approached a roundabout, saw that the car on my right that I should give way to couldn't go because they also had to give way to a car on their right, only for that car to decide to give way to the left instead and wave them onto the roundabout

If everyone sticks to the rules then we should be safe, but we can be in trouble when one person decides to change the rules

EG

2.7 Maintaining Progress

Indeed. This confirms to me my opinion that one cannot approach the Barregarrow crossroads both swiftly and safely. This road is little more than a country lane with hazards all around. Everybody knows that the Isle of Man roads have many doddery old drivers, boy racing R platers, mobile phone addicts, etc,etc, and should drive at speeds that will make it easier to deal with unexpected hazards. I know that on paper, a driver who cuts across a bike which subsequently ploughs into the side of it is to blame. But on paper doesn't mean anything if you've just been killed in this way.

In line with the IAM guidelines, he'd even started to brake/ reduce speed at or around the signage for the crossroads, I was doing similar. The problem was the car was stationary up until the point he was approx 20 yards away. The car didn't pull forward at a normal speed but crept as if they had seen him but wanted to stop me from going forward i.e. they wanted right of way. I'd say he/ we were doing 50-55 approaching the junction, the problem started at the junction when you have taken the decision it is going to be a safe passage. Point I was trying make was all bikers aren't nutters and had it not been for a bit of quick thinking and good driving there would have been an accident caused by the carelessnes of a car driver.

I am not prone to road rage, and would describe myself as a calm and rational human being, but drivers who cannot understand the basics at a roundabout really get my blood pressure rising. It's not that difficult is it?? And if it's down to stupidity or senility, then should these motorists really be driving? It wouldn't do any harm for a "refresher" driving test or some sort of course every few years, perhaps when it's time for renewing your driving licence. Just a thought...................

Good to see Mr Hannay (front page of the Examiner) doesn't think the average Manx driver knows how to use a roundabout; I have been saying that for as long as I have been back here. There is paralysis either because no one will venture on to the roundabout or they will when their exit is blocked. It is quite permissable to enter a roundabout even if a car is already oncoming from your right provided there is enough distance to safely do so. Remember if there is a car waiting to enter on every road leading to the roundabout, if everyone left their exit at the same time, they wouldn't bump into each other. That is how roundabouts work. They do not work as your lane of traffic to your exit, nor do the silly mini-roundabouts help because people cut across them instead of driving round which allows enough time for someone else to enter.

As I know the driver of the 4x4 and it was them that informed me of this

... and did they give you permission to blab about it on a public forum.

Bet they'll love the attention won't they.

Well if its true it won't be long before names appear in the papers and up in the courts?

my opinion that one cannot approach the Barregarrow crossroads both swiftly and safely.

OK' for the knobhead, How To Approuch Baggarrow Crossroads Both Swiftly and Safe.

As you approuch the said crossroads, you decrese your speed. You then position yourself onto the left side of the road to give yourself as much view as possible of the juntion. And you either shut off, change down or brake. Then move to the outside of the corner to give you the best posible view as to the exit of the said corner.

That's if some fookng prick hasn't cut the corner coming in the opposite way.

As soon as you see the junction, you look and expect some fookwit to pull out and act accordingly.

However, you cannot expect anyone to anticipate the speeds of bikes and cars today.

This should be expected in how you approuch the crossraods or any corner.

This is the way for anyone apert from Keyboarder. Who, i would like to think treats that the top corner is a straight :o

Archived