Iom Newspapers - Get £2 Million Of Our Cash

Last Ten

Just read this on the Manx Radio website;

This is an awful lot of taxpayers (our) money that has been paid to Johnson Press...

"The Manx government paid Isle of Man newspapers a total over £2 million for advertisements in the company's publications, in the last three financial years.

In a written reply to a Tynwald question, Chief Minister Tony Brown reveals the annual figures were £703,000; £665,000; and £685.000 for 2005/6.

The sums relate to all governmental and departmental announcements, including job vacancies, road closures and other public notices.

The question came from East Douglas MHK Phil Braidwood"

Last 10

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£14.5 grand a week? So about .30p per houshold. That information has to get to us, can you think of a cheaper way? Actually, they could save a fortune and dump all the adds out of the inde and examiner, 's only old folks read them and everyone reads the courier, eh?

There's some sort of legal requirement on government notices isn't there?

makes you wonder what the actual production cost is compared to what the Govt is paying?

does anyone fancy setting up a "newspaper" just to publish the Govt notices?

could it be done profitably at a price less than Johnson Press charge to Govt?

makes you wonder what the actual production cost is compared to what the Govt is paying?

does anyone fancy setting up a "newspaper" just to publish the Govt notices?

could it be done profitably at a price less than Johnson Press charge to Govt?

£2 Million Quid to copy and paste some emailed articles into your production line!

Somebody is taking the proverbial Michael!

Last 10

Sorry to post even more stuff on this :ph34r: but do you think IOM Newspapers website will conduct a poll that reads something like this??

1 - Does the Isle of Man Government get value for money for spending £2 million quid each three years on government notices via the magnificent Johnson Press Newspapers?

2 - Should the Isle of Man Government put the £2 million quid into Manx healthcare?

You know how vague and manipulative their polls can be!!!!!!

Last 10

It's not simply a case of £2million for a bit of copy and paste though is it?

That space has a value, and can be sold to someone else so naturally, the price will reflect that.

I guess they will get a significant discount though for being such a loyal and frequent advertiser.

It's not simply a case of £2million for a bit of copy and paste though is it?

That space has a value, and can be sold to someone else so naturally, the price will reflect that.

I guess they will get a significant discount though for being such a loyal and frequent advertiser.

Nice one mission, but who else can the IOM Government advertise with papers wise?

Even if JP did not offer a discount, who else can IOM PLC turn to?

Last 10

I would have thought we are a country affluent enough to have full e-government. Those who don't already have internet at home can gain access at work, at school or at a library.

Just imagine how much more effectively targeted government notices could be. A simple example - road closure information could be kept completely up to date on an interactive map: that way I can see at a glance when they affect the areas I'm likely to be driving, rather than reading about road closures in Foxdale, which I couldn't care less about.

How much does it cost to host a web server that can cope with the demand generated by a population of 70k? I'd be prepared to bet a whole lot less that £600k a year, and with greatly enhanced functionality.

It would be cheaper if they sent out to every household a weekly supplement showing all the government notices and jobs, get the post office to put it throught the doors and the money goes back to the government ;)

Archived