Development Arrives On Historic Fort Island

copycat

but, precisely, where is / does Fort Island start, and where does Langness finish ?

I guess the clue is in the name 'island'.

Fort Island (aka St Michael's Isle) is accessed via a causeway built between Langness and the island. I suppose, then, the boundary would be 'precisely' across the centre of the causeway.

but, precisely, where is / does Fort Island start, and where does Langness finish ?

Fort Island (aka St Michael's Isle) is accessed via a causeway built between Langness and the island. I suppose, then, the boundary would be 'precisely' across the centre of the causeway.

thank you.

so if Fort Island is MNH a charity is income there tax free? is that why its being used as the Registered Office for companies? surely the guys in the Registry know the difference as to where Fort Island is. If so is it untrue for anyone to use it as an office address?

can you still have an island if its joined up to another piece of land with a causeway??

No. Under the Edict of Milan 311AD, it became a crime punishable by death to call 'a body of land completely surrounded by water' (8 words by the way!) an island, if that island had been joined to something else by a manmade structure. The IoM of course is not a signatory the the Edict and therefore is allowed to keep the name on its maps.

Skye, on the west coast of Scotland, is now joined by a bridge and it is technically illegal to sing 'over the sea to Skye'.

The Orkney Islands are now largely joined by causeways (the Churchill Barriers) so there are moves afoot in the EU to rename the archipeligo 'an Orkney island' and change all European maps to reflect this.

thank you.

so if Fort Island is MNH a charity is income there tax free? is that why its being used as the Registered Office for companies? surely the guys in the Registry know the difference as to where Fort Island is. If so is it untrue for anyone to use it as an office address?

You really have no clue about how things work do you....try doing a bit of research before posting such drivel

MNH is a charity? Perhaps you should tell them that. They (and everyone else) think they're a statutory agency of the Government.

thank you.

Oh for fucks sake!

Actually, the whole thing's due to a terrible mistake that happened many, many years ago. Two rather deaf old men were going to St Michael's Isle for an afternoon walk)

having a conversation about holidays.

"I believe you're going to the far east," said one.

"Yes, I am," the other replied

"What, Siam?"

"Aye."

"Yes, you."

Trying to change the apparently endless conversation, the first one said, "Where are we heading for now?" The other one, not realising the subject had changed, replied:

"For Thailand!"

And that's how it came to be named.......

[Alright. Alright... I'll get me coat!]

Archived