Manx Beer Prices

chufty

Bear in mind the salaries that are paid to brewery workers are probably a lot higher than in the UK, in other words overheads in general are higher here due to our 'wonderful economy'.

Then bear in mind how many customers there are to sell to in comparison to similar operations in the UK.

Same goes for any business operating here, if they all closed down and we depended on UK companies to provide everything then the only people in employment would be in public service, e-gaming or finance! The rest of us would be paupers.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beer on the Isle of Man is a complete rip off. I was over in Liverpool about 3 weeks back and lots of pubs had offers for various beers, a pint was anywhere from 1.41 to about 2.50. It was quite easy to get a pint for less than 2 quid.

I bet the brewery can't wait until the smoking ban then they can blame the reduced consumption on something other than the stupid beer prices (oh and the way they destroy pubs in the name of refurbishment).

Honestly I would love to see more competition over here from the big breweries across. If that meant the end of H&B so be it, it would be no great loss.

Big Breweries in the UK have a thing called economies of scale, i.e the larger the volume you produce the lower your overheads. Okells and Bushies don't have that. Some of these UK beer factories, thats what they are not breweries, will produce in one day what the 2 breweries produce in a year. Its not rockey science to work out why they can produce it cheaper. For a true comparison look at the price of beer from small regional UK breweries and its no different to the prices here.

Carling is not brewed over here, so why are we paying so much more for it? You can only put so much down do transport costs.

And the higher price of gas, leccy and all the other things we moan about paying extra for over here.

Beer on the Isle of Man is a complete rip off. I was over in Liverpool about 3 weeks back and lots of pubs had offers for various beers, a pint was anywhere from 1.41 to about 2.50. It was quite easy to get a pint for less than 2 quid.

I bet the brewery can't wait until the smoking ban then they can blame the reduced consumption on something other than the stupid beer prices (oh and the way they destroy pubs in the name of refurbishment).

Honestly I would love to see more competition over here from the big breweries across. If that meant the end of H&B so be it, it would be no great loss.

Big Breweries in the UK have a thing called economies of scale, i.e the larger the volume you produce the lower your overheads. Okells and Bushies don't have that. Some of these UK beer factories, thats what they are not breweries, will produce in one day what the 2 breweries produce in a year. Its not rockey science to work out why they can produce it cheaper. For a true comparison look at the price of beer from small regional UK breweries and its no different to the prices here.

So What. I don't care how much it costs to produce over here, I'm a consumer. I want good beer, decent pubs, and for a reasonable price. If H&B can't do it then I won't bat an eye if they fold. Open the market lets improve the product and the price. Hells bells just because they are local is no reason to put up with the farcical prices, poor pubs, removal of entertainment in pubs, and lack of variety. That is exactly why a night out on the Isle of Man is one of the biggest piles of overpriced pants ever.

I think what's being said is that bearing in mind the economic environment and the market, the prices are not over the top.

If you want cheap beer, or anything else for that matter, live in a bigger country or an environment that can support it.

Prices in London are horrendous, costs in London are horrendous, a bit like here!

I think what's being said is that bearing in mind the economic environment and the market, the prices are not over the top.

If you want cheap beer, or anything else for that matter, live in a bigger country or an environment that can support it.

Prices in London are horrendous, costs in London are horrendous, a bit like here!

That is utter tosh. If it is more expensive to brew the beer here import it from where it is cheaper (a mere 60 miles away). That is the way the global economy works these days. That is unless to put artificial barriers in place to restrict free trade. If you introduce competition from across here you would see beer prices fall.

The Creek currently has, or did last week have a beer festival on, with beers from all around the UK, it was £2 a pint, I don't think you can get a pint of Okells over here for £2, thats if you can even find a decent pint of Okells most of the pubs only sell that smooth flow crap now instead of real ale.

Once the smoking ban comes in and H&B sell all the pubs they don't want, I think we will see some decent pubs crop up. Alot will fail but the ones that survive will do so because they are doing something well, either good beer, good food, good entertainment, good community atposphere, or a combination of that lot.

I can't wait.

That is utter tosh. If it is more expensive to brew the beer here import it from where it is cheaper (a mere 60 miles away). That is the way the global economy works these days. That is unless to put artificial barriers in place to restrict free trade. If you introduce competition from across here you would see beer prices fall.

Well that goes back to my previous point, if we just bring everything in, relying on UK retailers etc, there would be high unemployment and nobody to buy the stuff!

Unless you really know the costs and are absolutely certain that profit margins are too high, I can't understand the argument.

It's a straight economic choice, support local business or not. The long term consequences of a cheap pint may not be too attractive though!

Bear in mind the salaries that are paid to brewery workers are probably a lot higher than in the UK, in other words overheads in general are higher here due to our 'wonderful economy'.

Looking at the low wages paid to brewery pub workers, it can't be that much..

Then bear in mind how many customers there are to sell to in comparison to similar operations in the UK.

That's a matter of regulating the market - there are enough people here, and they are certainly drinking loads - maybe fewer, but higher quality, pubs are the answer?

Well that goes back to my previous point, if we just bring everything in, relying on UK retailers etc, there would be high unemployment and nobody to buy the stuff!

Unless you really know the costs and are absolutely certain that profit margins are too high, I can't understand the argument.

It's a straight economic choice, support local business or not. The long term consequences of a cheap pint may not be too attractive though!

Let's also pay more to lawyers, accountants and stockbrokers over here as well. Otherwise all those Athol Street people will be unemployed too!

Derrr!!!! Looking both ways at once. Thats one way to get be right all the time. Talk a load of bullshit and some of it is bound to be right ! Proper pubs still have beer under £2 a pint (Traf in Ramsey par example)

Derrr!!!! Looking both ways at once. Thats one way to get be right all the time. Talk a load of bullshit and some of it is bound to be right ! Proper pubs still have beer under £2 a pint (Traf in Ramsey par example)

???

???

For Cheap Beer live in a bigger country etc. Prices in London are horrendous ???????

???

For Cheap Beer live in a bigger country etc. Prices in London are horrendous ???????

Ah I see what you mean, but what I was meaning was that in most lower cost areas where there are large populations, costs are lower. But London being London where costs are astronomical, they charge like the light brigade for everything.

Liverpool and Manchester can be cheaper than here for most things.

A pint of Carlsberg at London Gatwick airport was £2.60 per pint yesterday. While waiting for our flight back to the Island we had a couple of pints in the bar and got talking to the wife of a Manx pub landlord, even she could not undestand why the price of beer was so high on the Island, but she did say that the profit of some of the beers is near 60%. the other thing mentioned was she believed the cost of a pint of larger will be rounded off to £3.00 per pint in time for TT.

Just now there are many rumours about pubs closing down.

I think it is more or less common knowledge that Strand 58 will be closing in a year or so, likewise the Waterloo. Sold to our favourite developer too!

There are further suggestions that the Bowling Green and The Rosemount could also be on the list for pubs likely to close in the not too distant future.

It must be easier for a business to make money by making its properties into flats rather than selling beer

And every time the brewery raises the price less less people go to the pubs. From an economics point of view, maybe beer on the Isle of Man is not such an inelastic commodity as the brewery think.

The alternative is to brew some good home brew and ask your friends round to drink it. If you are successful you can apply for a licence to sell it. Then you would become a brewery too!

Archived