Who's Yacht Is It Anyway

johnno

She's a lovely looking yacht.

It might just inspire a youngster or two to take business seriously and not rely on Giros.

Your rationale being that if youngsters stay on at school, go on to get a good job and work REALLY hard

they could buy an £86 million yacht.

Yep, that should do the trick

My quick calculations show that a senior civil servant would require about 800 years wages to buy that boat

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might just inspire a youngster or two to take business seriously and not rely on Giros.

Your rationale being that if youngsters stay on at school, go on to get a good job and work REALLY hard

My quick calculations show that a senior civil servant would require about 800 years wages to buy that boat

You have just made my point.

Be it Giro for a dolester or civil service handout for a paper pusher it's not business.

To make that kind of money you need to get off your backside and graft in all the right places at the right time.

You have just made my point.

Be it Giro for a dolester or civil service handout for a paper pusher it's not business.

To make that kind of money you need to get off your backside and graft in all the right places at the right time.

Yes because the ability to make sufficient wealth to spend €86million on a toy is just out there if you know where to look. Plenty of people work hard and ont have the luxury of oligarcal type buy outs or state collapses. Your post is ridiculous.

she could be reflagging to IOM Yacht register -acc. my shipping info she's currently registered in Cayman Islands (which is maybe where MR got info from), but as part of a reflagging she would need to be inspected by IOM Marine Admin for admission to the IOM register. Therefore, if owners were in Norway, may have thought why not sail to IoM to save on costs of flying out IOM surveyors.

Having said that, doesn't really look like costs of anything would be much of a consideration!!!

and also, I'm only speculating and of course could be talking a right load of sweaty old bollox! :)

Yes because the ability to make sufficient wealth to spend €86million on a toy is just out there if you know where to look. Plenty of people work hard and ont have the luxury of oligarcal type buy outs or state collapses. Your post is ridiculous.

I personally know a person who started as an assembly worker on a shop floor of a mobile phone equipment manufacturer, became a supervisor, became a manager, became a senior manager and then became the manufacturing director of the company's chinese subsidiary. They were sold out to a US company with the directors getting options on shares - they weren't worth €86million but at the same time Mr Bell would still like them to live in the IOM.

I also personally know quite a few people who entered the world of work with a Degree in History or what ever and no old boy network and have got themselves up to partner or directorship level - ie if Marx was relevent to this world "controllers of Capital" with all the perks that entails. You most definitely don't need "oligarcal type buy outs or state collapses" to do an awful lot better than a civil servant - quick wits and drive are the main criteria.

Is it just that few people have these skills, or is there a wider reason why so many of us stop challenging the system when a middle level civil servant or whatever?

because we harldy engender an entreprenerial culture. I've taken the plunge in leaving a well paid senior management job to starting my own company....yes its scary and so far it has been a succes (touches wood)...but not to the tune of €86million!!!

But in doing so, try getting a loan from a bank..or use the Govt's overly complicated business start up grant system etc etc....we dont encourage people to take that kind of risk and as such many people dont.

Plenty of people work hard and ont have the luxury of oligarcal type buy outs or state collapses. Your post is ridiculous.

I started my company in 1985. No hand-outs, no bank loan. I was inspired to do so after seeing just such a ship.

We are now world leaders in the scientific instruments we manufacture and I have retired at 50. Nowhere near Mittal's wealth but not bad.

Plenty of people work hard and ont have the luxury of oligarcal type buy outs or state collapses. Your post is ridiculous.

I started my company in 1985. No hand-outs, no bank loan. I was inspired to do so after seeing just such a ship.

We are now world leaders in the scientific instruments we manufacture and I have retired at 50. Nowhere near Mittal's wealth but not bad.

Your posts have made me realise what a failure I have been, yet have been an inspiration to me.

I have spent years of living off the dole & my wits (neither of which were adequate) and achived bugger all.

I promise to get my finger out and buy a big boat.

Starting tomorrow.

Yes but you had to retire to a low tax area to make your income go further :-)

Yes but you had to retire to a low tax area to make your income go further :-)

I wish I could.

My income is generated in the UK and taxed in the UK.

However using a method of slowly passing the company over to my employees pension scheme I am taxed at 10% which is not too bad. ;)

Good on ya! I always like to hear of people who have made a success of themselves. It inspires me. I too am looking forward to being 50-55! I'll know when the time is right.

Archived