Swiss Man Jailed For 10 Years For Insulting Thai King

stevie

I notice he isn't quite so sensitive regarding the systematic sexual abuse of his subjects.

Perhaps you should ask Gary Glitter about that one?

The man seriously broke the laws of the country in which he has lived for 10 years (according to the story in the link) - maybe he should get another 10 years added for his outright stupidity!

Gary Glitter is in prison in Vietnam. The truly evil bastard was kicked out of Cambodia and (I think) Thailand.

I've been to all three countries and provided you keep away from the seedy side, which is a tad depressing to see, they are amazing places. Thailand is too touristy for my personal taste, but still worth a visit. Cambodia is the oddest and most fascinating place I've ever been to. They've seen so much suffering but are still such nice people and where else do you get asked if you want to fire an RPG at a cow? As for Vietnam, you've haven't lived until you've tried crossing the road in Hanoi. If you think there's a lot of bikes here in TT you want to see an average Vietnamese road, I even saw six people (ok it included some kids) on a C90 type bike. I really want to see more of Vietnam.

I note the Gary Glitter references but fail to see the relevance.

This chap only insulted the King - he did not shag a 12 year old which is totally at the other end of the spectrum. Glitter got 3 years (I think) whereas the Swiss bloke got 10. Two different countries BUT you have to question the values of these places when child abuse ranks so low down the sentencing list.

Most of these countries whole tourist industry, if its not built on sex tourism, is built on sex vouyerism.

Its a shame the King of Thailand finds it more offensive to be insulted by a Swiss drunk than to run a country whose sole aim seems to be to attract tourists who want to see some farm girl fire ping-pong balls out of her fanny.

I note the Gary Glitter references but fail to see the relevance.

This chap only insulted the King - he did not shag a 12 year old which is totally at the other end of the spectrum. Glitter got 3 years (I think) whereas the Swiss bloke got 10. Two different countries BUT you have to question the values of these places when child abuse ranks so low down the sentencing list.

Most of these countries whole tourist industry, if its not built on sex tourism, is built on sex vouyerism.

Its a shame the King of Thailand finds it more offensive to be insulted by a Swiss drunk than to run a country whose sole aim seems to be to attract tourists who want to see some farm girl fire ping-pong balls out of her fanny.

I dont think we're in a position to question the values of another nation when ours has taken part in the slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians in Iraq and created anarchy instead of government.

The King is immensely popular in Thailand, and is revered as a semi-divine figure by many Thais. What would you be wanting a foreigner sentenced to if you saw him, say, crapping on Tynwald Hill or Princess Diana's grave and then wiping himself on the flag? When in Rome and all that. Personally, I'd have ordered him to work on a community service scheme (at Thai pay rates) for five years until he'd paid for the damage and then chucked him out of the country.

Though he may be out soon - I heard his wife has just sent him a cake with a Swiss Army Knife inside it.

Archived