If You Shop At Tk Maxx....

Lonan3

BBC NEWS

Hackers have stolen information from at least 45.7 million payment cards used by customers of US retailer TJX, which owns TJ Maxx, and UK outlet TKMaxx.

TJX added that the security breach may also have involved TKMaxx customers in the UK and Ireland.

But the company added that at least three-quarters of the affected cards had expired or data had been masked.

But the company added that at least three-quarters of the affected cards had expired or data had been masked.

That's ok then, only up to 11.4 million card holders details out there. Phew.

I dont like those pin machines they have in shops, they are all different makes and how do I know for sure that it isnt linked up to some scam machine? Gosh soon people will have to use real money to buy things. Its strange how wierd having to use money feels, when we were on holiday there weren't many places took credit/debit cards so I had to use money, I kept losing bits of it, putting it in different places (so I didnt lose it, ironically) and ended up giving all my money to my hubby and telling him to 'deal with it', awful stuff :)

Gosh soon people will have to use real money to buy things.

I have a company credit card for travel and my own debit card. I much prefer to use cash and not have to hand over my details to the likes of Tesco and others when I shop. I think this is one of the main reasons I hardly get any junk mail. It's amazing where your name and address and other details can get to, just by using one supplier and failing to notice the 'tick here if you don't want to be hounded' box on their paperwork.

I suspect this latest example is really just the tip of the iceberg as regards data theft. I think, like the Channel 4 documentary shown last year pointed out, things are probably much worse and much stolen data remains yet to be discovered in many organisations.

The main weakness is the server room in larger companies, where a committed criminal can do 'the right courses' and get some of the skills that are in demand for administrating and programming large databases such as Oracle etc. One of the main problems is that there is a 'knowledge gap' between management and IT - and whilst that will never likely be overcome - more checks need to be carried out on people with access to this data, and I don't just mean a criminal record check - their work needs to be countersigned and supervised by peers, and activity logs built in to systems that can be regularly scruitinised by managers.

Also it is very easy to encrypt laptops these days, but we still constantly hear about data being stolen from them. Passwords offer no protection for users to anyone that gets hold of a stolen unencrypted laptop and knows what he is doing. You need a large vegetable shoved up your nether regions if you allow yourself, or one of your staff, to be able to leave a laptop in the car, or take it to the pub after work etc.

BBC NEWS

Hackers have stolen information from at least 45.7 million payment cards used by customers of US retailer TJX, which owns TJ Maxx, and UK outlet TKMaxx.

TJX added that the security breach may also have involved TKMaxx customers in the UK and Ireland.

Had a Morgan Stanley Credit Card and it was one of the 40 million whose details they lost to a 3rd party who then sold them. Got that replaced and shopped in TK Max within 24 hours according to my credit card statement I was shopping in 4 different cities in England as well as in cities in France Spain and Germany. Credit Card company didn't seem to think that being in 2 places at the same time was a problem worth contacting me about!!

I now mainly use the folding stuff.

I don't often find anything worth buying in TK-jumblesale, it seems to be mostly worn-out jeans and well fumbled / well trodden trash, but the lat two times I did find something, I have checked my receipts and I PAID CASH ! :)

I have never liked TKMaxx. The first time I went in one I was looking at CK Jeans. I already owned a couple of pairs and knew what the quality was like. The CK Jeans in TKMaxx were very poor quality jeans with a CK label. Very dubious.

I too prefer cash to cards. Although I generally use Amex where possible (for various reasons), I only ever use my one credit card for online purchases. Even those I am winding down in favour of paypal.

As for chip and pin, I was never a fan and I am still not.

Archived