Charterhouse Group Announces 78 Redundancies

slinkydevil

is there an advocate about who can advise if its possible and what the wording should be for a clause in a future employment contract that stipulates precisley what the redundancy pay will be as a minimum, i.e. not just the statutory minimum but say equivalent to 3 / 6/ 9/ 12 months pay - that way you will know what your going to get if any employer pull sthe plug on you again. is this feasible? if not why not?

Many employers have been very generous with redundancy packages, in particular large companies who have different statutory redundnacy obligations to meet in different countries who then standardise on a higher payout to satisfy all their operations.

If the company is in financial trouble, it might be hard to meet the statutory obligation, let alone pay extra. Isn't it better in this case to meet the statutory for all, then make sure what's left of the business can carry on, than bankrupt the whole thing paying out generous redundancies?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of these people work in Ramsey for the sake of their families etc so they hate the thought of going to work in Douglas.

Collective myopia. A very awkward position to put yourself in.

Douglas. Yes its that place 20 minutes drive away. Remember it? Went there once as a kid. Very noisy. Didn't like it at all, and all the people smelt. Never been back since and that were 20 year ago.

maybe the people of Douglas would prefer those people with only one eye and half a brain to stay away - they are the sort of people who drop ciggie butts and spit chewing gum and allow their dogs to crap in Douglas and expect Douglas ratepayers to pay to clean up their mess they clearly don't have any expectation of braodening their work experience horizons otherwise they would have chosen to work in Douglas from the outset.

Most of these people work in Ramsey for the sake of their families etc so they hate the thought of going to work in Douglas.

Collective myopia. A very awkward position to put yourself in.

Douglas. Yes its that place 20 minutes drive away. Remember it? Went there once as a kid. Very noisy. Didn't like it at all, and all the people smelt. Never been back since and that were 20 year ago.

maybe the people of Douglas would prefer those people with only one eye and half a brain to stay away - they are the sort of people who drop ciggie butts and spit chewing gum and allow their dogs to crap in Douglas and expect Douglas ratepayers to pay to clean up their mess they clearly don't have any expectation of braodening their work experience horizons otherwise they would have chosen to work in Douglas from the outset.

Well maybe you should stop inviting these people to your trailer park!!!

unfortunatley it is the manx thing again when anything further than the car is an epic journey. You hear them all the time, what drive all that way over the mountain every day!!!

I think it is just a case of people getting comfy without thinking that their job is not guaranteed and never will be. Too big too quick is something that springs to mind

56 posts in before you brought dog dirt and fag ends in. Who had that in the sweepstake.

is there an accountant who can tell us all what the psoition is about providing for redundancy pay and the solvency of businesses.

No requirement to provide for such costs unless the cost is reasonably certain and quantifiable. Charterhouse year end is 30 Sep so neither of these terms were met at that time.

The Sunday Times rich list is drawn up by the Sunday Times and is very inaccurate. The ST either make an estimate from public records or there are vain individuals who approach the ST so they can be included. The latter might be accuracte and require proof but the rest is very much a best quess and often wrong by a large factor.

I believe the golf challenge was done on scheduled flights and not by private jet except for the possibly the last leg back to the IoM Whether this was arranged for and paid for either partly or solely by David Dean or another in the party which included a travel agent I do not have a clue

With redundenacy you are better informed than me as obvioulsy that is not a matter of public record.

I would say there is nothing unsubstantiated,

As per copycat, David Dean is reputed to be worth £65m,as per Sunday Times rich list

The Sunday times will not print this unless you provide proof.

We all see him driving his customised Aston Martin Vanquish v12 and he did fly around the world on a pritate jet playing golf in 6 continents(which was well covered in the press).

My Manager has told me what the redundancy package is going to be,after they agree a price on the sale of part of the company.

I' m just saying goodwill and staff loyalty has to have a price.

There is an old Chinese saying "you know how a company values you the day you leave"

The Sunday Times rich list is drawn up by the Sunday Times and is very inaccurate. The ST either make an estimate from public records or there are vain individuals who approach the ST so they can be included. The latter might be accuracte and require proof but the rest is very much a best quess and often wrong by a large factor.

I believe the golf challenge was done on scheduled flights and not by private jet except for the possibly the last leg back to the IoM Whether this was arranged for and paid for either partly or solely by David Dean or another in the party which included a travel agent I do not have a clue

With redundenacy you are better informed than me as obvioulsy that is not a matter of public record.

I would say there is nothing unsubstantiated,

As per copycat, David Dean is reputed to be worth £65m,as per Sunday Times rich list

The Sunday times will not print this unless you provide proof.

We all see him driving his customised Aston Martin Vanquish v12 and he did fly around the world on a pritate jet playing golf in 6 continents(which was well covered in the press).

My Manager has told me what the redundancy package is going to be,after they agree a price on the sale of part of the company.

I' m just saying goodwill and staff loyalty has to have a price.

There is an old Chinese saying "you know how a company values you the day you leave"

Apparantley he travelled first class around wherever it was that he went (couldn't care less to be honest)! Think he hired a private jet to fly him back into the Isle of Man. At the end of the day he hasn't made £65 million by being nice to people and that's obviously the way he will continue. Just a shame for the loyal people he had working for him.

I cannot take anymore of this :angry:

Look if you go and work for a company that gives out 12 month contracts and no permanent ones surely your gonna just see its not a permanent job. ?

As a temporary worker you don't get any of the rights a permanent worker gets that is a fact.

Its up to the government to change the laws and i cannot see that happen because lots of companies use this system of employment.

Like i said before its not a secure job, and no job really is these days.

Get your head out of the clouds and understand that if they didnt do this the other 150+ people might have gone with them.

I'd certainly prefer to work for a company that it can see when its overstaffed and address the issue, rather than underperform over an extended period because of the excess baggage. Companies have to change to reflect the circumstances they find themselves in - whether due to their own poor management, or because of unpredictable changes in their market.

Any former staff member worth their salt won't spend the time moaning about being laid off - they'll take what they can from the experience, dust off their CV and get back in the job market. I weathered two rounds of redundancy in the same year a while back, and met several of those who were let go later on. Those who had been good people in areas that were simply overstaffed had found themselves great jobs elsewhere. The dead weight, who the redundancies provided a great opportunity for us to shed, were predictably still skimming along the bottom.

Look if you go and work for a company that gives out 12 month contracts and no permanent ones surely your gonna just see its not a permanent job. ?

Where have you got this 12 month contract thing from? I'm not on one nor are any of my colleagues, even the training contracts are permanent. Perhaps the sales team are (such is the nature of that occupation) but nobody else is

something is lost on me 'cos where is the cost to a dynamic employer wanting to attract and retain staff

A dynamic employer wanting to attract and retain wouldn't use the redundancy entitlement as a means of doing so, surely?

I am very sorry for anyone who loses their job and more so when the job losses have a large local impact, but you have to accept that employment isn't a paternal relationship. An employee shouldn't look to their employer to look after them beyond what is sipulated in the employment contract, absolving themselves from any degree of control or responsibility for their own destinies. That is a symptom of immaturity and a mindset of feudal degree.

Copycat, I really do not understand what Charterhouse should do to satisfy you. I assume that they will honour their contractual obligations to their employees; we have no reason to believe otherwise. What more should they do? The business exploited a niche in UK tax and NI legislation which has now been plugged, that business is now declining and the management has taken the necessary steps to re-jig the costs to fit the new business profile.

Should Charterhouse provide tied cottages for all employees, an annual trip to the seaside and engineer micro societies for their workforce, creating a fiefdom?

Or should they manage the business in the big commercial world with a free, unfettered workforce who have been justly rewarded, but vulnerable, as we all are, to the economic dynamics which created the jobs in the first place?

I cannot take anymore of this :angry:

As a temporary worker you don't get any of the rights a permanent worker gets that is a fact.

Its up to the government to change the laws and i cannot see that happen because lots of companies use this system of employment.

Like i said before its not a secure job, and no job really is these days.

Get your head out of the clouds and understand that if they didnt do this the other 150+ people might have gone with them.

As you are obviously not informed about the types of contracts I will explain. As TerryMccann says the staff are not on temporary contracts. All the contracts given are on the basis of continuous employment and you only receive a new contract when there are changes to be made. They are not 12 month contracts. We are perfectly well aware of the rights of the temporary workers given that we have been providing a service to them for the last 18 years and know exactly how the temporary market works.

Everyone knows that jobs are not secure these days and most people move about after 2 years anyway but the impact has felt greater because the island is such a small place. These people will pick themselves up but surely you can offer a small amount of sympathy from the great height that you sit at. Then again perhaps not!!

Archived