Charterhouse Group Announces 78 Redundancies

slinkydevil

What's happening with the isle of man finance sector at the moment a friends wife was working for abbey national and she is still looking for a job some 6 months later ?

Is there not enough jobs or is it not enough of a certain type ?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is jobs of a certain type. She should register herself with a good job agency who will tell her where the job opportunities are. One area that is crying out for good people is the CSP area; they need people who will think about what is crossing their desks and not just process it. I think one thing we have to be prepared for is that the Island is not suited to 'sausage machine'-type jobs. This is part of the added value bit that Alan Bell has been referring to over the past few years.

On the bright side, the HR Dept emailed me my redundancy illustration (which is bugger all as I have not been at the Company long enough), how is this brighter...? Because on the 2nd tab of the spreadsheet was a list displaying every employees salary (past & present)... A very interesting read indeed.

Doh!

Hope you find something mate, there does seem to be quite a bit of work around, but then some quite big closures in IT depts too particularly with offshoring. Good luck!

On the bright side, the HR Dept emailed me my redundancy illustration (which is bugger all as I have not been at the Company long enough), how is this brighter...? Because on the 2nd tab of the spreadsheet was a list displaying every employees salary (past & present)... A very interesting read indeed.

Doh!

Hope you find something mate, there does seem to be quite a bit of work around, but then some quite big closures in IT depts too particularly with offshoring. Good luck!

There are tons of vacancies for contractors in the UK. Operating from the island in the short-term is another option to consider. Look for contracts on jobserve.com as you can often find one/three/six month stuff available.

When I first started doing it many companies were willing to include the cost of hotels and many still do (or you could perhaps even temporarily lodge with relatives/friends). The summers approaching so travel is generally easier.

£3 million? Oh my God. I could possibly believe that figure though because he is incredibly wealthy and I know somebody else who worked there who earned a ridiculously high salary but had to put in the hours. Re. commuting, I think I and Miss Take (I think that's who it was) may have been misunderstood by our moaning. I might be Manx but I'm sure that I'd find it a piece of piss commuting from Andreas to Castletown every day if I had a wife to make my tea and wash my socks. When you're the person who runs the house, commuting is a pain in the arse.

Guest chunkylover
My Manager is a board member so it came from the horses mouth,

With regard to the question did he earn it,apparently not

His target was based on Revenue and objectives.

As everybody knows Charterhouse's business was halfing every year,so Revenue targets were never met.

One of his objectives for end of 2006 start 2007 was for the smooth transition of all the business to a new product

He purchased 10,000 one man companies at £100 a company.(£1m cash) bad mistake!

This cost the company a big chunk of cashflow.

Inland Revenue would not accept this,so all these companies had to go,and so did Eugene Lantry.

I have to say, this is all a complete load of rubbish. The company did not purchase 10,000 one man companies although they did make a massive investment but these companies are going to be used elsewhere. I don't believe your Manager is a Board member as none of them are so unprofessional to make such comments.

I have to admit having some doubts over ddavid1111's postings. Whether or not they are accurate, and as I say I have some doubts on this point, they do not reflect that individual in a very professional light. Yes I understand he or she may be very upset about the matter but I would have thought airing some of the "facts/gossip" so publically will not help those laid off gainig future employment. I must admit if I was recruiting any ex Charterhouse staff I would be concerned that I might be taking on ddavid1111 and that that individual, judging from some of their posts, may be lacking the level of expected professionalism and discretion that clients expect.

As everybody knows Charterhouse's business was halfing every year,so Revenue targets were never met.

One of his objectives for end of 2006 start 2007 was for the smooth transition of all the business to a new product

Inland Revenue would not accept this,so all these companies had to go,and so did Eugene Lantry.

I have to say, this is all a complete load of rubbish. The company did not purchase 10,000 one man companies although they did make a massive investment but these companies are going to be used elsewhere. I don't believe your Manager is a Board member as none of them are so unprofessional to make such comments.

Guest chunkylover
I have to admit having some doubts over ddavid1111's postings. Whether or not they are accurate, and as I say I have some doubts on this point, they do not reflect that individual in a very professional light. Yes I understand he or she may be very upset about the matter but I would have thought airing some of the "facts/gossip" so publically will not help those laid off gainig future employment. I must admit if I was recruiting any ex Charterhouse staff I would be concerned that I might be taking on ddavid1111 and that that individual, judging from some of their posts, may be lacking the level of expected professionalism and discretion that clients expect.

I know there are always going to be rumours and the less the company says, the more people will guess. However, I have also lost my job and am not bad mouthing the company for two reasons a) I have enjoyed working for Charterhouse and have gained experience I'm unlikely to get anywhere else and B) I understand that it's a business at the end of the day and if the company doesn't make changes now, what else could happen? I'd rather the rest of my colleagues carried on working at what is a fantastic company, although obviously it won't be the same as it was.

I know there are always going to be rumours and the less the company says, the more people will guess. However, I have also lost my job and am not bad mouthing the company for two reasons a) I have enjoyed working for Charterhouse and have gained experience I'm unlikely to get anywhere else and B) I understand that it's a business at the end of the day and if the company doesn't make changes now, what else could happen? I'd rather the rest of my colleagues carried on working at what is a fantastic company, although obviously it won't be the same as it was.

I have to say this is probaly the first and last time I will ever post anything on a forum. I totally agree that ddavid1111 has probably been a bit over the top woth some of his postings. None of the managers at charterhouse woud be so open about the future of the Company. I have worked at Charterhouse for the last three years and commuted from Douglas the whole time, I have spoken to a few of my ex-colleagues who have already got positions in Douglas and it isn't the travelling that puts them off it's the cost (I would hope most of them woud car-share though!!) But I have felt alot of my wages has been wasted on the constant petrol filling! With regards to the future I would summise that the rumour of more redundancies is probably true and that for alot of people it will be a welcomed relief, as the last three weeks have been a nightmare in the office, we are run off our feet and working extra hours to compensate for the lack of trained staff the stress levels are visibly affecting lots of the staff that have been left behind. I have to agree that I have loved my time at Charterhouse, i have never worked anywhere like it before and will miss everyone who has gone and will miss the people i work with when I eventually get another job......I have signed up with one agency and have been for three interviews this week so far and will hope to hear back in next couple of days, so I do not think there is a lack of jobs on the Island but employees are trying to be a bit more pickier about what they do!!

Unfortunately,most of what DDAVID has said is true,

I worked in HR in Charterhouse and was involved in the redundancy plan so was privy to the detail,

I love Charterhouse and will miss its energy and go, but things have changed.

Mr Lantry has made statements to the press,he wanted to spare the redundancies if David D had sold him all the company.

I worked with David from the beginning and I will not let anyone say a bad word about him,especially Eugene

David took his finger off the pulse and watched Eugene sink the company,with his crazy decisions.

I am now faced with the situation,as you all probably know of preparing for more serious redundancies.

I feel the pain for everybody that has been affected but please dont knock Charterhouse and Ramsey,

It was once a great company and will probably limp on for a few months and maybe regrow

Eugene Lantry knows his attempts at completly destroying the company have failed,and as he has publically stated he is in permanent retirement,where I hope he stays.

Unfortunately,most of what ddavid1111 has said is true,

I worked in HR in Charterhouse and was involved in the redundancy plan so was privy to the detail,

Mr Lantry has made statements to the press,he wanted to spare the redundancies if David D had sold him all the company.

I worked with David from the beginning and I will not let anyone say a bad word about him,especially Eugene

David took his finger off the pulse and watched Eugene sink the company,with his crazy decisions.

I am now faced with the situation,as you all probably know of preparing for more serious redundancies.

I feel the pain for everybody that has been affected but please stop knocking Charterhouse and Ramsey,

It was once a great company and will probably limp on for a few months and maybe regrow

Eugene Lantry knows his attempts at completely destroying the company have failed,and as he has openly stated he is in permanent retirement,where I hope he stays.

Guest chunkylover
Unfortunately,most of what DDAVID has said is true,

I feel the pain for everybody that has been affected but please dont knock Charterhouse and Ramsey,

Eugene Lantry knows his attempts at completly destroying the company have failed,and as he has publically stated he is in permanent retirement,where I hope he stays.

that's very interesting - there is no-one in the HR department who has worked with David from the beginning. I know this to be true as as i've just checked with the HR Director - so who are you karen1978?!

As a member of the HR team, Karen, (which has confidentiality at its heart and the confidence of senior management that that will be respected regardless of events within the company), it is very unwise for you to enter into public debate on these topics.

Guest chunkylover
As a member of the HR team, Karen, (which has confidentiality at its heart and the confidence of senior management that that will be respected regardless of events within the company), it is very unwise for you to enter into public debate on these topics.

she's obviously not a member of the HR team - I know them all and they are professional and have handled everything in a sensitive and confidential manner, despite virtually all being made redundant themselves. It sounds more like she has a grudge against Eugene Lantry to me

Archived