Isle Of Man Traffic Congestion - A Solution

Fossils

If every driver had (through fear of instant large penalties being imposed) to indicate when approaching a roundabout, then all the drivers approaching the thousands of roundabouts that the DoT has scattered so liberally across the Island, would recognise the other drivers' intentions.

Instead, everyone has to wait at every roundabout and see what happens, causing all the cars to tail back behind the "wait and sees". As a result the Island has become a dot to dot puzzle, with roundabouts as dots and all the dots connected by lines of cars with drivers just waiting to see the intentions of the drivers approaching the roundabouts.

Web%20site%20roundabout.JPG

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the Manx have a general ignorance to indication. I dont think I have driven anywhere in the UK where the percentage of drivers who use their indicators in good time - or at all - is so low. I wiuld like to see signs up before roundabouts, and known problem junctions saying...

"Turning left? Why not let others know...INDICATE YOU KNOBBER!!" ;)

Maybe it could be the start of some decent road signage around the Island

"Fog lamps don't make your car go faster, turn them off you TIT!!!"

"Speed does not kill, but you will driving like that....PILLOCK!!!"

"Can you read this sign yet??? What about now???...too late, get some glasses....SPACKER!!!"

"What part of of NO RIGHT TURN did you not get?...IMBECILE!!"

Do we actually have traffic congestion or does it just get a bit busy in Douglas at around 8:30 and 5:30 on weekdays.

Get real people. Go to any major city in the UK if you want to see traffic congestion. What we have is a minor inconvenience at worst

Agree with Terry, and there is more than one way in and out of where the congestion happens, i work shifts so i dont get caught in the traffic all the time so it does not bother me at all.

But i do hate it when people are too lazy/stupid to use indicators and i am tempted to just hit them and get me a claim in!

Can I use the term 'manxish'? or is that being Manxist?

I know people from the UK who have moved over here and are just as selfish/ignorant/incompetent on the road as any manxman, so yes, I will downgrade manx to resident.

I agree with you Diomed, the loudest whingers are the newer comeovers, and have the worst attitude - if you don't like it, fuck off!

BTW fossils, if we had roundabouts like your pic, we wouldn't have traffic problems

TerryMc, it's busy in Douglas from 8am - 6pm with varying levels of density, you 9-5ers who only need to get in once, & out once per day don't see the rest

The real answers to solving the congestion problem are A. encouraging flexi-time and getting schools to open at 9.30am - plus making the fat little b***ards walk to school and B. restructuring the DoT and it's 700 plus staff - who clearly have nothing to do and all day to do it.

I am also currently working on a plan in my shed to scrap roundabouts - and develop squareabouts which involve the instantaneous incineration of people who don't know how to operate their indicators.

TerryMc, it's busy in Douglas from 8am - 6pm with varying levels of density, you 9-5ers who only need to get in once, & out once per day don't see the rest

I've seen plenty of daytime traffic in Douglas. It really isn't congestion and other than giving everyone teleporting machines it isn't solvable

The real answers to solving the congestion problem are A. encouraging flexi-time and getting schools to open at 9.30am - plus making the fat little b***ards walk to school and B. restructuring the DoT and it's 700 plus staff - who clearly have nothing to do and all day to do it.

Hey, I had something like that in my manifesto - although I think I worded it a bit different :)

I think part of the problem is, that the "traffic planning" and total over-regulation is actually harming traffic flow instead of supporting it - you can't even get a green wave anywhere (peel road / athol street towards Lord street is a top example - stop-go-stop-go-no-flow).

Ok, you may call me sad for this, but I long suspected that there are more signs cluttering the landscape than anyone would ever need, so just out of curiosity, I went for a walk and started counting - on the tiny stretch of road between the Railway pub, along North Quay, down to the Lord street police station, there are no less than 105 road signs, mounted on 58 poles.

Even worse, Market Hill - the tiny stretch of road between Lord Street and North Quay. Barely 60 meters of tarmac accommodate 14 poles displaying 21 traffic signs - wtf? Who's supposed to take them all in and still make progress? And according to this, each sign costs the taxpayer 60 quid, while it's an extra 40 quid if they need to install a pole as well - money well spent? Probably not...

Archived