[BBC News] Warning over 'other' road users

Newsbot

Horses should be required to have 3rd party insurance, and their owners should be forced to undergo a riding proficiency test before being allowed to take them onto the road.

And no, I don't give a flying ferk about the fact they were about before cars, times change, and personally I think taking a horse on our public roads (usually at rush hour on roads with little long range visibility) is an act of cruelty.

Add also that 50% of riders don't even acknowledge drivers even when we go out of our way to be courteous.

Rant over

It's all very well educating motorists about other road users, but what about educating these others about their own safety?

Horse riders aren't so bad, and most do have insurance to protect themselves and their horses, albeit not compulsory.

Cyclists can be a pain in the arse when they're cycling in a big group 3 or 4 abreast sometimes on twisty roads. Come round a corner and meet a bunch of them and you can be sure of a case of brown trousers. Single file around blind bends is more sensible but the militant save the planet types that "have rights" and will do as they please and like to tell you about it deserve shooting, or running down.

Runners also do my head in at times. They seem to have an aversion to running on footpaths. What's the deal there?

Horses should be required to have 3rd party insurance, and their owners should be forced to undergo a riding proficiency test before being allowed to take them onto the road.

And no, I don't give a flying ferk about the fact they were about before cars, times change, and personally I think taking a horse on our public roads (usually at rush hour on roads with little long range visibility) is an act of cruelty.

Add also that 50% of riders don't even acknowledge drivers even when we go out of our way to be courteous.

Rant over

I think it should be a requirement of passing your driving test that you should experience riding a horse on a public road!

I think it should be a requirement of passing your driving test that you should experience riding a horse on a public road!

I lived with a nag for a few years - am I exempt?

Edited: Note for Gladys - I'm only joking! :)

_

Rant over

Probably because the ones who don't, have had numerous cars flying past them at stupid speeds and have lost most of their repsect for the ones who actually take care due to the idiots. It's the same with car users, those who experience many other car users who don't acknowledge their kindness on the roads give up being nice! Just a theory :)

I passed my car test a couple of months ago at nearly 30 ( I know I didn't get around to it!!) but as a learner and as a driver I've found horse riders, cyclists and motorbike riders to be courteous when shown courtesey and consideration on the road. But other car drivers have forced me into tight corners, have driven up my ass until I either I get my passenger to look like they are noting the number plate or I slow down to way less than the speed limit which I was doing in the first place.

I do agree that there are times and places for horses to be on the road as Johnny Wattersons at 5:30pm is not sensible! And if dog owners have to clean up after themselves then why not horse riders?

And I do agree that cyclists should ride single file - there is no need and it is actually causing a hazard to ride in pairs like they do. And according to the Manx Highway Code it says: When cycling - ride in single file on narrow roads when in traffic. Even though they are permitted to ride 2 abreast I've never seen cyclists split into single file when there is a pile of traffic behind them.

And I did experience all of these while learning and as soon as I was able to drive my little car legally!!! Those horses appear out of nowhere!!

Simple rules would help here I think:

1. If cycle riders do not ride in single file it will be legal to drive them into the ditch \ wall \ whatever.

2. If a horse is to be taken onto the road it must be painted head to foot with bright yellow high viability paint. Actually same applies to runners.

3. Runner are welcome to use the roads as long as they can stick to the speed limit. If they fall short of the required speed drivers must drive up behind them and give them a shove.

4. Tight Lycra shorts should NEVER be worn by a man even if you spend hours waxing your legs like a sissy girl.

5. Horses should be fitted with headlights \ break lights and indicators. Although under horse lighting is illegal (along with the fitting of wider tailpipes).

6. Runners must not laugh at Nissan Micra drivers as they easily breeze past them while overtaking (same applies to walkers).

7. Car drivers should now be allowed to use all cycles paths (it's only fair).

8. Car drivers must accelerate in the presence of standing water. Then laugh heartily at the half drown runner cyclist etc for being to povo to afford a car.

If we all abide by these rules I'm sure we will all get on fine.

Archived