Smoking Ban - The Isle Of Man

%age

If you smoke and you go to a pub, you will waive your right to whinge about not being able to smoke. You will be banned from whinging. You will go in there voluntarily, you will know what is coming, so you've only yourself to blame. Shut the <insert rude word here> up. Nope! Don't even..... no, there are no "but"s, you willingly chose to start smoking a gaseous cyanide causing a possibly related painful death, and so you are the only idiot you can blame.

If you do smoke and you get a job working in a pub - see the above.

This sentiment also applies to men having to accompany women into clothes shops.

And I believe that is the end of the argument. Common sense returns, the planet begins to spin as it should, and I go back to my crystal cave in the North Pole to have a kip (and occasionally talk to my dad, who looks like Marlon Brando in makeup).

Until the ban becomes law and all that - I'm right, you are wrong. Once again, I have utilised the attribute of "common sense", which I believe is not unique to creatures who hail from Krypton, such as myself.

Take a deep breath (with or without smoke, whatever), relax, and get over it. I've got a world to save here.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree that is why I did change the tense but when the ban comes in like all rules whether we like or not we have to lump it until it is changed.

Until the ban becomes law and all that - I'm right, you are wrong. Once again, I have utilised the attribute of "common sense", which I believe is not unique to creatures who hail from Krypton, such as myself.

Take a deep breath (with or without smoke, whatever), relax, and get over it. I've got a world to save here.

I would be much more interested in learning why he wears his underpants on the outside

Cos single blue jumpsuits with a big "S" on the front look stupid.

From Monday's Irish Independent

Breathing easier . . . pub air cleaner since ban

DRINKERS can breathe deep with the news that the air in our pubs is more than 80pc cleaner, thanks to the workplace smoking ban. A major new study has found an 83pc decrease in overall air pollution in pubs and an 80pc reduction in airborne carcinogens since the ban was introduced in March 2004. There was a significant reduction in particles, such as the carcinogenic chemical benzene. Levels were measured in 42 Dublin pubs before the ban and again one year later. Post-ban, the level of benzene fell dramatically so that the exposure level was now the same inside a pub as when walking outside on a city street. And the cleaner air has led to improvements in the health of bar staff, many of whom were previously exposed to tobacco smoke for 40 hours a week. More than 70 barmen underwent extensive pre and post-ban breathing tests at St James's Pulmonary Laboratory. They showed a 79pc drop in carbon monoxide in their breath and acute improvements in their breathing. There was also a drop in respiratory complaints.

From Monday's Irish Independent

Breathing easier . . . pub air cleaner since ban

DRINKERS can breathe deep with the news that the air in our pubs is more than 80pc cleaner, thanks to the greatly reduced number of customers they have to share it with.

[sorry...couldn't resist!]

Incidentally Lonan3, do you or your customers smoke in your taxi? If not, is that a regulatory issue, company policy or personal choice?

Bumping to Page 13 for answer...

Incidentally Lonan3, do you or your customers smoke in your taxi? If not, is that a regulatory issue, company policy or personal choice?

Bumping to Page 13 for answer...

My apologies... I must have missed that.

There is a 'Code of Conduct' proposed by the RTLC which forbids smoking in taxis. It has not, however, been properly ratified as yet.

In the meantime, I do occasionally smoke in my cab, with the windows open, when I have no passengers.

As I have pointed out in another thread, I allow some passengers to smoke - usually those who've been stuck in a non-smoking environment for a while (such as the hospital for example) - provided that they are sober and sat in the front passenger seat where I can watch what they do (the reason for this is that many are careless of other people's property and have been known to leave burn marks on the furniture).

In all honesty, I prefer to get out of the cab to have a smoke (except in really bad weather) and, once the new legislation comes into force next year I believe I will have no option but to do so.

In all honesty, I prefer to get out of the cab to have a smoke

Why?

Purely and simply because I've had two superficial vein thromboses in the past twelve months and being in the same driving position for hours at a time doesn't help. Getting out and having a stroll from time to time does help - even though it can be difficult when working with a radio service provider.

A smoker with some sort of clogged bloodflow system? Who'd have thought it eh?

I'm surprised you smoke in your cab at all. I know that if I got into one that stank of fags I'd get straight back out again and get another. Even if, ironically I know, the only time I'd be in a taxi would be when drunk and probably smoking myself.

Archived