Smoking Ban - The Isle Of Man

%age

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I saw a giraffe smoking I'd get a rope, hop on my BMX, and take it down with the Hoth manoeuvre. Then I'd kick the floored beast in the neck until it apologised.

What a pathetic contribution to the debate Mr Sausages.

For one, you'd never suffer passive smoking from a giraffe because the smoke they exhale would to too high up to bother you.

Secondly, smoking isn't even a health issue for them because they're necks are so long, the smoke never reaches their lungs.

Get a grip

Nice to see that the debate among the anti-smokers remains at a consistent intellectual level.

Nice to see that the debate among the anti-smokers remains at a consistent intellectual level.

Nicer to see you still have a stick up your ass, you humourless cretin.

The Villa Marina is a non smoking venue, But the Islands flag ship entertainment venue recently changed its own rules on smoking. At the recent darts festival held at the Villa, ash trays were set out and smoking was allowed, yet the program for the event stated that The Villa was a non smoking venue, very strange decision by the DTL.

I remember being in the newly refurbished Villa a few days after it opened. Everything was new and everywhere was the fresh smell of new fabric and carpeting. It was wonderful.

One of the first functions was the darts contest. Being not noted for a healthy sport the organisers allowed smoking (the management of the Villa are largely smokers and you can often see them blasting away outside the place).

The following day the place smelt like the Waterloo pub in Strand Street. The freshness and 'newness' of the place never to return.

Considering the Villa costs us £30,000 Per Week to run, I hardly think those in charge are behaving as good custodians in this respect.

Incidentallly, the Amateur Boxers and the TT folk manage to keep off the fags during functions and I wonder why the highly tuned physiques of the Darts players and their supporters cannot do likewise.

Typical Big Brother attitude.

The darts fest would probably have relocated if the smoking ban was upheld, so the Villa/Government have caved in to the organisers, but done it in a mealy-mouthed way by not admitting their change of policy.

I do not really know anyone that has complained about the smoking ban since it started here.(im not saying there are none!)

I have also been on training courses in England with some Irish guys who refused to smoke in the pub because they are so used to going outside and did not want to annoy anyone around them.

The smoking ban is great IMO and for all you smokers who think its a pain head to Ireland or Scotland and you will find the best social part of a night out now is outside with the smokers, always a great laugh. I will go out with my friend for a cig because there is always something going on out there to break up the night a little!

As a non smoker all I can say is, the sooner the ban comes in the better.

I've lost count of the shirts I've had damaged by these selfish gits in clubs and pubs, the horrible smell when I get home and the probable damage to my health.

Sod them and their blowing smoke in peoples faces as if they were some sort of superior being who can inflict their crude poisonous discharges on whosoever they wish. I'm glad that it will soon be over and these people exposed as the selfish morons that they are!

Imagine taking up a pastime that kills you and others around you just to look 'cool'!!

Who cares if they stay away from venues and pubs which may have to close and dwindle in number to accomodate people with a bit of respect for others. Fewer places, but filled with decent folk!

I had a discussion on the smoking ban with a bloke a couple of weeks ago Nd he reckons that when the ban comes in that pubs will never be the same and people will stop going, etc. I agree pubs will never be the same (for the better) but spent this weekend doing a sort of survey.

I went to 4 different pubs in 3 different parts of the Island and spent around half an hour in each noting the number of smokers. I also revisited the first two yesterday for a recount at a different time of day (mid afternoon)

Pub 1 had 13 people in it and no smokers. Pub 2 had 8 people, one smoker. Pub 3 had about 30 people and 4 smokers. Pub 4 had around 40 people and only three smokers that I saw (could not see into one room very well but it appeared to be a family with kids and two other adults). The revisit of pub 1 yesterday afternoon found it very busy with people even taking drinks outside to sit on the wall in the sun. There may have been smokers outside I did not count them. Inside there were around 30 people and only 3 smokers (one with a pipe). Pub 2 revisit yesterday early evening found about 12 people including 5 smokers. However, the 4 of the five were in a group and that sort of encouraged them to smoke more. They were misbehaving and pretty much on their final warning before being chucked out.

In general, my findings are that few people actually smoke, but the smoke that they produce annoys the hell out of everyone in the vacinity, whether they smoke or not. It annoys the most when people are eating.

It was ironic though in pub 4 when a bloke was getting hot under the collar because someone on the next table was smoking while he was eating. As soon as he had finished his main course he lit a fag and started smoking himself

Archived