Manx Soldier Killed

chufty

A 19 year old soldier from the Island was killed in Basra yesterday. I would like to let the family know my thoughts are with them at this sad time. RIP local hero.

I agree with all your comments chufty.

Every parent whose kid goes to war must fear and dread this situation.

Last Ten

Very sad indeed.

One of my close mates has done lots of tours in 'hotspots' including a few in Iraq, and last week flew out to Afghanistan. It un-nerves me each time I see a headline like this in case it's him, but regardless, it's still always someone's son/father/brother etc that's gone for good.:(

:( 19, thats disturbing. I go on at my children about how rubbish the Army, RAF and Navy are in the hope that they will never want to join.

I know where you are coming from - my own son has talked numerous times about joining the army/air force. Having spent nine years in the forces I can say first hand it is an excellent vocation. It is easy to say, but the fact is that the risk of death in the forces, generally, is very low.

The services are far from being 'rubbish' - only the idiot politicians that abuse them, under-equip them, over-extend them, and take advantage of the services' honour and integrity for political/religeous gain.

In a democracy, we are all at fault for allowing such situations to arise and for politicians not be held to account. I think we should all remember that fact sometimes, and that by having a vote, or at least an elected politician acting on our 'behalf', that each of us are culpable, albeit often in a minor way, for each and every forces death.

I agree, Lonan. A friend lost his son (who was in his late 20's) and at the funeral I passed on my sympathy, his simple reply was 'You expect that your children will bury you.' Those few words have stayed with me ever since. So sad.

Archived