[BBC News] Former speaker of house, 89, dies

Lonan3

The most interesting part of Mr. Kneale's life, to me, was his wartime service.

In 1940 he married his wife Thelma, and about five days later, left the Island to join the Forces. He ended up in North Africa, and was involved in being holed up for a year in the seige at Tobruk, using his scouting skills to survive. After Tobruk was was relieved it fell again, and he was part of the force which re-took it.

After that he had a week of leave in Egypt and then went on to Syria for a spell of training in the mountains, and ended up using that training to fight in the hills in Italy.

During all that time, and until the war ended, he never went home, and finally saw his five day bride, after five years of seperation.

Politics and politicians pale into insignificance compared to that.

I couldn't agree with that more, Dave.

Sorry to return to some nitty gritty anorak type detail of local politics:

There have been other such attempts but unlike Victor Kneale's, they failed.

What Dominic Delaney's return to the Keys in 2005 after being an MLC?

I think the point has to be made is that Victor Kneale resigned from the Legislative Council on principle, in order to be re-elected into Tynwald (as an MHK) by the people. In this respect he was successful.

For example, Leonard Singer's recent resignation from the Legislative Council in order to gain re-election to the Keys was a failed attempt. and as explained previously, so was Edgar Mann's.

Dominic Delaney was voted out of the Legislative Council, and was replaced by Alex Downie. Subsequently of course, Dominic Delaney took Alex Downie's vacant seat in the following by-election. Although an admirably accomplishment to return to Tynwald as a popularly elected member, Dominic Delaney did not resign from the Legislative Council.

Thelma has been a great blessing to Victor. She accompanied him everywhere and her smile was infectious. I suspect a lot of his popularity was down to her. He certainly made a great choice on this most important matter.

Archived