Iraq

Chinahand

I really respect the International Red Cross - they attempt to monitor prisoners of war, provide aid to refuges and encourage respect for Internation Human Rights Law.

Rather obviously that isn't easy in the world we currently live in.

This short report tells how despairing the situation in Iraq is becoming.

Civilians without protection

The ever-worsening humanitarian crisis in Iraq

The humanitarian situation is steadily worsening and it is affecting, directly or indirectly, all Iraqis. Protecting Iraq’s civilian population must be a priority, and the ICRC urgently calls for better respect for international humanitarian law. It appeals to all those with military or political influence on the ground to act now to ensure that the lives of ordinary Iraqis are spared and protected. This is an obligation under international humanitarian law for both States and non-State actors.

The conflict in Iraq is inflicting immense suffering on the entire population. Civilians bear the brunt of the relentless violence and the extremely poor security conditions that are disrupting the lives and livelihoods of millions. Every day, dozens of people are killed and many more wounded. The plight of Iraqi civilians is a daily reminder of the fact that there has long been a failure to respect their lives and dignity.

Health-care facilities are stretched to the limit as they struggle to cope with mass casualties day-in, day-out. Many sick and injured people do not go to hospital because it’s too dangerous, and the patients and medical staff in those facilities are frequently threatened or targeted. Food shortages have been reported in several areas. According to the Iraqi Red Crescent, malnutrition has increased over the past year. The vastly inadequate water, sewage and electricity infrastructure is presenting a risk to public health.

"Once I was called to an explosion site. There I saw a four-year-old boy sitting beside his mother’s body, which had been decapitated by the explosion. He was talking to her, asking her what had happened. He had been taken out shopping by his mom."

Saad, a young humanitarian worker from Baghdad.

"I was accosted by gunmen who gave me two hours to leave my home, together with my wife and three children. They told me not to take any of my belongings, not even my children’s clothes."

Saad, an engineer from the Hurriya area in Baghdad

"With attacks being carried out daily, it is as if Baghdad were in a state of constant emergency. We are doing our best to cope with the influx of casualties with the means at our disposal, with the support of the Ministry of Health and the help of the ICRC. Our surgical wards are always full and working conditions are extremely difficult. Of the 208 surgeons who used to work here, only 40 or so are still on duty today."

Dr Adel Al-Shammari, director of Al-Kindi Teaching Hospital, Baghdad (February 2007)

What a sad, sad situation has been created in Iraq.

The starting point was the arrogance of the US, but beyond that there is a culture of revenge, violence and sectarian hatred which is entrenching conflict.

Withdraw won't solve it cos the conflict is now self perpetuating. I honestly think it will make it worse.

And withdrawl will decimate the reconstruction efforts. All the billions spent - and either stolen or blown up again - but with withdrawl even that effort will go - just destruction.

Can you imagine what it must be like to live with that - day after day after day.

And the Daily Mail readers go on about free loading asylum seekers - bet they know all about humanitarian law - and humanitarianism. If it happened to you would you want to try to get your family out. I truly respect the medics and engineers who stay - and despise those who think that providing medicine and reconstruction is a crime.

What should we do with our comforts.

Talking to myself again - Oh well!

Wondered how many people find themselves agreeing with Moqtada Sadr. Should there be a timetable for withdrawl and will it help reduce violence?

BBC news story

The head of Moqtada Sadr's Iraqi parliament bloc says the radical cleric has ordered his ministers to withdraw from the cabinet.

Mr Sadr's bloc, which has six cabinet ministers, is trying to press Prime Minister Nouri Maliki to set a timetable for a US troop withdrawal.

Mr Maliki has refused, saying a pullout depends on conditions on the ground.

Analysts say Mr Sadr holds great power among Iraq's Shia majority, but the unity government is likely to survive.

BBC Arab Affairs analyst Magdi Abdelhadi says many believe the reason behind the withdrawal is that Mr Sadr feels his party is being sidelined in decision-making and his militia is being unjustly targeted by the US-led security surge to stamp out sectarian killing.

Late last year his bloc staged a two-month boycott of parliament to protest against the continuing closeness of the relationship between Mr Maliki and the US administration.

Mr Sadr's Mehdi Army militia has been described by the US as the greatest threat to security in Iraq.

Before Mr Sadr entered mainstream politics the Mehdi Army launched two uprisings against US-led foreign forces in Iraq.

Talking to myself again - Oh well!

Wondered how many people find themselves agreeing with Moqtada Sadr. Should there be a timetable for withdrawl and will it help reduce violence?

I suspect Sadr's motives in calling for a timetable are less than pure. A timetable would be advantageous to any militant group who seeks power for themselves in that it allows them the opportunity to stockpile supplies, consolidate their forces and plan how to take the initiative once the coalition forces leave, instead of having to disperse their efforts fighting running battles for an indefinite period. One possible consequence is a temporary reduction in violence, but this comes with the cost of risking a more general conflict at a later date.

The imposition of a timetable should only really be considered once the Iraqi state is powerful enough to resist armed challenges to its authority unaided, which means training and equipping a decent army, sorting out the police force and judiciary, and building up its intelligence services, none of which can really be done to a deadline.

Archived