Petrol Up Again - Anyone Know Why?

Utah 01

Thats why retailers might have to put two prices - for people who aren't as clever as americans and can't work out percentages. Personally I am capable of working out 6% GST or 12% local sales tax in some states or even 8% if I was in B.C. I am also capable of working out 17.5%..

Something costs as much as it costs so how would a retailer make it out to be cheaper than it is ?

If you could buy a hoover from Wollies at £100 + tax or the same hoover from the MEA at £99 + tax its easy to see which one is cheaper. Or at least its easy for me.

How many people here whinged about BP making £3 billion profit ? When the govt gets somewhere in the region of 80% of the money you pay for a litre of petrol how much did they make ? Think about it - were you complaining about the wrong people ?

(the following is a worst case scenario and the figures may not be exact but they are just there to illustrate a point. If anyone wants to work out the actual figures then crack on. I have better things to do with my life than sit here and spent two hours researching the figures)

For every tenner I earn the govt takes its 9.4% NI, then it takes its 18% tax leaving me with £7.24. If I now buy something that costs exactly £7.24 I then pay a further £1.08 in VAT.

So from my original tenner that I earned the govt have left me with just £6.16. So for every three hours I work the govt decides it is going to take a hours worth.

And god forbid I spent it on beer, wine, fags or petrol.

In fact lets buy some petrol ! I'm estimating here but its about 80% goes on duty so in reality only about £1.23 of my original tenner went towards paying for petrol. The govt decided to tax me the grand total of 87% !

Thats why I get time in hand for overtime instead of being paid - I have no wish to gve the govt one penny more than I have to.

If you are happy with paying the govt that level then fine. I'm not and I'm pointing out that maybe people would start asking more questions if we were aware of just how much we give the govt from our paypacket.

But if I'm buying 10 things, I want to be able to do a rough sum in my head so I have enough cash to hand to pay for it. I certainly don't need this complicating with percentages.

I think, since I'm paying so much cash to the Government, the very least they could do is not introduce pointless laws that complicate matters.

I'm a simple chap all I need to know is how much money do I have and what can I buy with it. I don't really care if it goes to Mr Tesco or the Government.

But if I'm buying 10 things, I want to be able to do a rough sum in my head so I have enough cash to hand to pay for it. I certainly don't need this complicating with percentages.

I think, since I'm paying so much cash to the Government, the very least they could do is not introduce pointless laws that complicate matters.

I'm a simple chap all I need to know is how much money do I have and what can I buy with it. I don't really care if it goes to Mr Tesco or the Government.

I agree, the price I pay is the price I want to see before I buy, it would be like airfares to Liverpool from 5 pounds + tax + fees + insurance, you can work out the tax if you want to. Saying that a full duty breakdown on the receipt would be good, not just the vat that is shown now.

Archived